Is there a work around to make events expand more than one day?

• 15 March 2023
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hello, our use case scenario is: Multiple departments get different onsite training. When I say multiple departments I mean between 10 - 15 departments and growing. We need to record each day’s attendance. I can create either one course or a course for each department. If I create a session and event, there will be an event for as many days in the year for each of the departments. That’s a huge amount of events. As of now only attendance will be taken, in the near future content and exams will be added. I know I can create one session and add multiple events for that session. Each session may last several weeks with a possibility of 21 events. Sessions are recurring. If anyone has a work around or any ideas on the best practice for this or the most efficient way to maintain something like this I really appreciate it. 

Thank you so much! 

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Not sure I understand your questions...are you saying your events last several days? or are you asking about tracking attendance? our both…?

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

In our case, we created a separate course per Region, this way it would be easier to manage. Apart from that, if you will give a Power User access to someone who will manage the Department’s enrollment, etc., then you can assign only the course relevant to them. If the event is recurring and you have the same participants, then it is just right to create only a single session with multiple events, but if the session will have a different participants, then a new session should be created for that. You cannot mix up events in a single session for the purpose of minimizing the sessions to be managed if they’re totally not a recurring event.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi Irnlab, yes I’m asking if one event can span the entire training which can be 21 days. Or if there is a work around to do this. Otherwise I’d have to create 21 events, and there are 10-15 separate trainings that’s over two hundred events in just 21 days. Thank you for replying.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

your event can be as long as you need it to be but since there is only 1 start and end date, when this booked on calendars, it will block the user’s calendars for 24 hours a day for 21 days...not ideal for sure...you can opt to create a separate registration email without the calendar attachment and explain to users to book their calendars manually for the next 21 days...that might be your easiest solution.

if your events are delivered by various instructors you can add them all to the one session/event but again this might mix typings up especially for virtual sessions.

there is a “duplicate event” option that can help, but if you want to create separate events, you’re better iff using the CSV option to create them all...Once you have your session created, get the Session ID and load that into your CSV and you can add all 21 events in one shot.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Your first line says events have one start date and one end date. Events have only one date for the event, you cannot enter a end date there is no option for that in the platform. It has a start time and an end time, but it’s a daily selection, you cannot select monday at noon and end it on friday at 5. Sessions are creating without a date as they are just placeholders.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@ncassella you’re right my apologies...so scrap that first option…

probably best to look at the CSV import option in that case

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

yes jlreonal, in another scenario we have a weekly courses and we create sessions and events and we create via duplication or by csv import. We usually create them about one month at a time. This new project has many more trainings, spanning longer times, to be accessed by many departments. I was trying to see if there was a way to make one event last longer than one day. Thank you so much for your reply.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

You can create a session and add the start and end date in the session name, you wouldn’t need to create events but you will also need to manage the notifications/calendar invite for Events outside the system.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Not sure they’ll be able to register for the session if there are no events as the session does not appear to users without a date/time element. If you plan to enroll them on the back end, that might work; you would need to test this.