Best Answer

Learning Plan vs. Courses

• 2 August 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Can anyone define the pros and cons of using Learning Plans versus courses with blended content? I will be creating ILT courses and eLearning courses, combining the two different learning methods. I understand this can be accomplished both through a Course and a Learning Plan. I wanted to see if anyone on here had any insight into the negatives and benefits of using one over the other. I really appreciate any help you can provide.  

icon

Best answer by lrnlab 2 August 2022, 22:37

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

hmmm, loaded question...basically, the LP is just a container for courses whether eLearning or ILT. It does have a few options but most of what you need manage courses from the “settings’ point of view, is done on the courses themselves…

They are not interchangeable. Your core is the course that can then be placed in a LP. The LP is more about providing all courses in a concise package that users don't need to search for, etc. and it has a nifty progress bar.

this is a good read: https://help.docebo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020083980-Creating-and-Managing-Learning-Plans

Userlevel 2

Hi kferguson ! This is a very good question. Our team finds the two tabs structure of the ILT course not user-friendly. We had cases where people didn’t go through the self-paced materials because they wouldn’t find them in the ILT course because of the different tabs. As a solution, we tried to set up a Learning plan structure to organize the content ( it would be pre-work e-learning + ILT course live session + post-evaluation as a separate course). But in general, we are still figuring out the best way to structure our programs.

One of the major con for using LP over Course is : The enrolment notification is without the expiry date ‘Short Code’.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

A con with the LP approach is the LP day of validity setting overwrites the course day of validity when that is the method used to enroll the learner in the course. In my experience this can make things tricky. A pro with LP is the navigation for the learner is more straightforward.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

i think the learning plan is great for mandatory training.  For us we use a Learning plan for courses which are mandatory for all staff, and a separate learning plan for courses that are for managers.  We have set it so that as soon as a user enters the system they are automatically enrolled on the learning plan.

The biggest frustration for us is that learning plans don’t allow optional courses.  We would use them for so many other things if that was a feature.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Containership, containership, containership - thats all I have for ya.

Everything else is what is noted with folks above - my worst con for LPs is what @lhubbard(Lynn) picked up on.

Userlevel 1

Another potential negative is that if you have a course in multiple or other LPs, if you’re using any ‘prerequisites’, those will carry into the LPs where there are none. Same with the training material in a course. If an item is flagged as having a prereq, it will require it for any course it’s added to. I was told this is not how the system should work but that’s what’s happening for our users currently. Thus I’ve had to turn off all prereqs so our users can get through a course and move on to the next material.