Multiple ILT Configurations

• 6 September 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

I’m looking for a best practice to configure ILTs in the system in a way that will ensure that participants register for all classes for multiple day ILTs.

The difficulty is that we offer several configurations of ILTs, like an ala carte menu. For example:

• Class A
  • Class B
  • Class C
  • Class A+B+C
  • Class B+C

Recently, we hosted a training with A+B+C, and had a terrible problem with participants not registering for all three, resulting in more people in attendance than expected. Clearly, we could create one ILT that combines all three, but sometimes we need to only offer class A, or class B. Further, we may need to run a report on all participants that have completed any configuration with Class B, for instance. Because they have to register for a session in the ILT, I don’t think creating a learning plan for each configuration would work. Has anyone figured out a solution for this problem?

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Sounds like you would need to offer all options simultaneously so users can choose since they cannot enrol in more then 1 session at a time *(only admins can do that).

Have you tried using the Session and Event titles to very explicit about what the session includes…

e.g.: 3-DAY session for … or,

1-DAY session only

etc.

or create multiples of your course and label them according to how you schedule them.

Unfortunately there is no way to assure users will properly enrol even at the best of times.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

hmm. Just tossing ideas out, I have not tested any of this:

I would probably build that out so each option you list up there is it’s own course shell.

Then have the course shell for the Class A+B+C set up with an equivalency to mark the single courses as completed once the user completes the combination. 

If the session for part A of combo A+B+C class is the same session for the individual class A class, then set up the sessions for the same time.  If you are using a video conference tool, when building the events in the session, use the custom link option, and have both sessions set up with the same custom link.

This way you have folks join into the same video conference even though they signed up through different course shells. 

From the reporting of completion, since you have an equivalency set up, you would only need to see the completions for class A, class B and class C. 

The only downside is getting a roster - you would need to go into separate course shells to get a full roster. :-/ 

Userlevel 1

Thank you for your replies, @lrnlab and @Annarose.Peterson. This does not make my day. 😉 I am hearing that two experts are confirming that there isn’t a magic configuration that will solve my woes. In this situation it is power users or users signing up for in-person sessions that technicians will attend. They try their best, but I am still left trying to reconcile three lists for course attendance.

I am hearing that explicit session and event titles might help on the front end, and setting up equivalencies might help on the back end, so that reporting might cover the different configurations. 

Follow on question to my experts... Do users have to be enrolled in both courses for the equivalency to occur? IOW, if I run a report on people who have completed B, will people who took A+B+C configuration show up as complete without me enrolling them in the B only configuration? 

Thanks again, for taking the time to help us who are not as far along on the Docebo journey.