Question

New Tab blocked on Mac's

• 8 July 2021
  • 6 replies

Hi,

We just launched a course, and have received multiple reports from users on Macs that they cannot open their course content, a SCORM package. The package is set to open in a new tab, but Macs seems to not allow pop-ups on docebo. The users also are not receiving any notification that the window has been blocked and so are assuming that course is broken. Is there any solution to this?

Thanks,

Andrew

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @andrew.maranta yes Safari works a little differently with pop-up blockers...you can allow pop-ups for a specific website which is probably what you need to do...to enable pop-ups for a site:

• In Safari, goto Preferences
  • click the “Websites” tab and scroll down (on the left) to find “Pop-up Windows
  • You should see a list of current windows...the default setting may be “Block & Notify” (which doesn’t actually show me anything, sadly)
  • If you change that to “Allow”, the new tabs work

Try it out...hope this works for you.

Thanks @lrnlab. We can notify our users to try and do this. I guess there is no way for Docebo to actually fix this? It seems like opening a new tab should not count as a pop-up. I feel like, even providing the instructions, it will cause a lot issues with less tech-savy learners. Anyways thanks for the interim solution.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@andrew.maranta I understand the dilemma...you might try adding instructions directly on the course description or if you want to create a job aid, you can use the “File Repository” course widget and place it there, or you can use Channels to publish that as well…

Pop-up blockers are not things that an LMS can control...this is an individual privacy setting that each user could set themselves so wont ever have control over that unfortunately...Have you tried using the other SCORM settings and displaying the content inline? I know it doesn't always track for us so we prefer the new tab option...You could also try publishing in xAPI + using the inline (lightbox) option to see if that makes a difference.

@lrnlab Yeah, I’ve added in an instruction slide now using the HTML file option which users will need to read before opening their actual course content. We are switching all our SCORM packages to XAPI due to issues with the content not tracking. I’ve tried the lightbox, but since we use articulate rise, it ends up looking very confusing because of the built in buttons to move between modules that docebo adds to the bottom which look very similar to the Articulate Rise interface. I think we will stick with new tab and hope that our users are able to fix the pop-up issues.

Hi, @andrew.maranta 

Could you elaborate on your issues with SCORM content not tracking you mentioned above? We are having trouble with an internally created SCORM course occasionally not tracking progress/completion for learners even after they have passed the final quiz. We have an open ticket in with support, but so far they have been unhelpful. Are you having similar issues?

Thanks!

Userlevel 4

I know this thread is a little old, but is this still an issue? I just had my first user contact me about issues on his Mac?