Question

Old Courses/LPs marked with "New" sticker

Userlevel 3

Is there a way to manually remove a “New” sticker from a course/LP. We have some that are almost a year old that still have it. It’s confusing for a user identifying what’s truly new. 

18 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

This would be great!

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi @brandonq 

As I understand it, the “New” label indicates that a user has yet to enroll in a course rather than the fact that the course was recently published. For this reason, "New" will continue to display for users who are not yet enrolled, regardless of how much time has passed since the course was released. This can be a little confusing, so it would be good to have separate labels to differentiate between the two meanings. I’ve been trying to think of some suitable terms, but the best I can come up with is “New” and “Not enrolled”. I considered using “Not started” or “Unenrolled” instead of “Not enrolled” but these are also open to misinterpretation.

Userlevel 3

Oh that’s confusing. I figure if they haven’t enrolled in it, it would be obvious enough by having “ENROLL” instead of “ENROLLED” on the course button already. 

If a tag must exist for non enrolled courses, I would think the following would make sense:

New - Course/LP was created in prior 30 days / not enrolled in

Open - Course is available / not enrolled in

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Give this a shot.

Will it work for you?

This will take out all of them though.

Of course, double check that it doesn’t affect something else.

/** Remove badge from catalog cards **/

ui-badge-status {
display: none;
}

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Here is how you might target a single badge.

/** Remove a badge from a targeted catalog card **/

div ui-carousel-item:nth-child(3) ui-badge-status {
display: none;
}

You would need to change the number 3 to reflect the position in the row of cards.

This may need some upkeep depending on how often your order changes.

Anyway - try it out and see if it helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

meh…

I see that it breaks when you filter your list of courses.

Hard to nail that one down without an ID for the specific course card.

Userlevel 3

You might try to find where that label is in the Localization Tool and could change the word New to something else like Not Enrolled.  It isn’t perfect because you won’t be able to distinguish truly new content but it could help with confusion. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hi @brandonq and @Daniel 

We have replaced the label ‘New’ with “Not Started’ in the Localization Tool. We’re slowly working through some other languages for the same issue, but of course we’re leaving the exact phrasing up to them.

Userlevel 3

meh…

I see that it breaks when you filter your list of courses.

Hard to nail that one down without an ID for the specific course card.

A helpful attempt on it. Thank you!

Userlevel 3

@NateC and @jbridges - I never took time to work through localization changes. Extremely helpful and this worked as a first one. I’ll have to get a little more well acquainted with that in the future.

Thank you both for the assist. 

Userlevel 3

@kferguson 

Userlevel 3

Found this thread and it is interesting to hear work arounds to change the text that appears in that new badge on a course. I’m curious if there is anyway to adjust the logic behind it and change it to a time based approach like @brandonq suggested. Has anyone discovered a way to do this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

There’s no way to do that within the system as it would require some heavy scripting and api access and then still I imagine some core access to deal with performance. I mapped in my head a way to do it using an external application that is iframed into a page as a new widget type essentially. On page load, the widget would take a moment to load as it would be exchange for a proper OAuth token, then use the API to find the courses that are new to the user. 

Might just be easier to come up with larger groups of users who would see ‘New Courses’ during releases and make an HTML widget, or  carousel of some sort that gets updated now and again by you to highlight new important courses to the group of users who see that page, but it would not be a ‘smart’ display to change things based on individual user action.

Pros/Cons to each approach to get near what you are asking for.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@NateC and @jbridges - I never took time to work through localization changes. Extremely helpful and this worked as a first one. I’ll have to get a little more well acquainted with that in the future.

Thank you both for the assist. 

Localization is almost my first go to for customization now a days, Only if it can’t be done there do I move onto other solutions, since its easier to do, better for maintenance, and better for user access.

It would be great if they called it out/linked to it from the other customization areas as a reminder/alert folks to the possibility.

Userlevel 3

There’s no way to do that within the system as it would require some heavy scripting and api access and then still I imagine some core access to deal with performance. I mapped in my head a way to do it using an external application that is iframed into a page as a new widget type essentially. On page load, the widget would take a moment to load as it would be exchange for a proper OAuth token, then use the API to find the courses that are new to the user. 

Might just be easier to come up with larger groups of users who would see ‘New Courses’ during releases and make an HTML widget, or  carousel of some sort that gets updated now and again by you to highlight new important courses to the group of users who see that page, but it would not be a ‘smart’ display to change things based on individual user action.

Pros/Cons to each approach to get near what you are asking for.

Hi @Bfarkas thanks for the confirmation here. Don’t think we’ll want to go down the api/iFrame route. We actually leverage a carousel on our home page so we’ll keep using that to highlight new and important courses

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Yeah, that’s my recommended route, have seen some folk scale to a dedicated widget or carousel just for that, but essentially the same thing.

Userlevel 1

Would anyone be able to tell me which “module” the “New” label is apart of in the Localisation Tool please? We’ve been asked to change from New to Not Started, but searching for “New” brings up 000s of results! 

Userlevel 2

This was a great fix! Thank you for the suggestion. I sometimes forget that tool is there. I was able to find this in the module “app7020” for anyone that needs help finding the verbiage in the localization tool.