Best Answer

Permission vs Catalog

Userlevel 2

Hi,

I have setup course catalog and added courseA which are displayed on internal page only. When the learner is in the group which has permission to enroll and log-in as the learner, I can see the specified courseA in the catalog only. However, when the learner is not in the group which has permission to enroll and log-in as the learner, I can see not only the courseA in the course catalog but also other courses. Is there any configuration I am missing?

icon

Best answer by liza2022 7 November 2022, 21:43

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @liza2022 are you saying that learners who have no access to the catalogue can still see the course?

Userlevel 2

@lrnlab , Yes. I am expecting that the course is not showing when the learner log-in

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

make sure those users are not in linked to any branches, sub-branches, or groups that are included in your catalogue permissions area. Is the user a power user? That could be another areas to check. Does your course have the enrolment link enabled? If yes and it was shared any user with the link can be enrolled whiteout having access to view it in the catalogue...just a few spots you can check.

Userlevel 2

The course does not assigned to any branch and the user is learner level. The learner can see all courses catalog if the learner is not assigned to group which is associated with a course catalog.

The interesting thing is that the learner can not see any course in course catalog if the learner is assigned to a group associated with the course catalog with empty course. 

To achieve the course catalog permission,

1. Create empty course catalog and create a dummy group associated with it. 
  2. Create a course catalog with some courses and create another group associated with it
  3. Add the learner into above both groups
  4. When the learner log-in, the learner can only see the courses in step2

Is it a bug or by design?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@liza2022 - that is so weird. I just recently did a talk on Inspire about this as an approach for buillding a custom learning experiences and working with groups and a single catalog widget. Can you isolate one thing? Instead of User A being mutual to both groups, can you make User B for group B and User A for group A. And see if A get what is expected for A and B gets what expected for B?

You may also want to check has the group had enough time to get beyond its asynchronous processing...and that the user is actually populated in both (leaning into your original use case).

Userlevel 2

@dklinger  - Verified that Group B user can only see Catalog B course and Group A user can only see Catalog A course.

If the user not belong to any group associated with any catalog, then see all courses.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

If your catalogues are set to display only to users that belong to a specific group but when a user is not part of any of those groups can see the courses, I would consider this a bug for sure...almost like some kind of ‘gate’ is missing for anyone not part of a group...like bad or incomplete coding…

Definitely raise a ticket with support.

Userlevel 2

@lrnlab , Created ticket https://docebo.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/303020

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Thanks but unfortunately I can’t view your tickets 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@dklinger  - Verified that Group B user can only see Catalog B course and Group A user can only see Catalog A course.

If the user not belong to any group associated with any catalog, then see all courses.

@liza2022- Help me through something. If the user does not belong to any group associated with the catalog? Then they are seeing all the courses related to that catalog?

If what I am saying is true? It sounds to me like you are running a type of “catch all” scenario with your pages/menus and this one catalog.

If you move away from that “catch all” with the catalog? Then it should be able to behave a bit better and closer to your original question.

When a page has a catalog widget but the catalog does not have an audience targeted? It should come back with a message saying there is nothing available at this time (or something like that - sorry, I am paraphrasing).

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Good point @dklinger checking to see if you have a catalogue that includes all your users might reveal something. 

Userlevel 2

@lrnlab@dklinger

Here is answer from Docebo Support: 

There is a configuration in Advanced Settings, which I have active, that is called "Show the internal general catalog to the users not assigned to any specific catalog."  This essentially means that if a user has not been assigned to any course catalog, then the user can see all the courses available in the catalogs that were assigned visibility of internal. Once the user has been assigned a course catalog, then they will only have visibility of the courses in their assigned catalogs, which I believe is the behavior you have been experiencing. I see that none of your users have been assigned to course catalogs, therefore they can all see the courses that are in the platform at this time. 
 In this case, if you deactivate the option "Show the internal general catalog to the users not assigned to any specific catalog" then your users will no longer see all the courses available unless they are assigned to a course catalog. 

It is by design by using the configuration. Hope that it will help