Question

Plans to include Hyperlinks in the Observation Checklist

• 25 October 2021
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2

I am looking for feedback on Idea # LMS-I-2994, which is marked as “product owner review” - It seems really silly to me that Observation Checklist items do not offer/contain a hyperlink option for content that may be outside of (or even elsewhere within) the LMS platform, e.g. content in on-demand Channels that should be referenced/consumed for onboarding. 

We are looking to create multiple employee and external onboarding learning plans before year-end and would really like to understand the status of this idea to add hyperlinks to Observation Checklists.

Please advise ASAP? 

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Lisa - good afternoon from the East Coast...and a happy Monday to you.

Could you describe what you are thinking more?
I can totally see why external links are important - telling a person to go do something somewhere else and check this off? Well - the observation checklist is all about that activity already….so you got my +1.

But how would you further use it for internal links?

And if inside? Would you put those pieces in a learning plan already for the learner?

I think as a learning object? The observation checklist could use some serious loving….I would love to see answers layout in a horizontal fashion for a question….

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

By the way? I am voting up your idea right now.

Userlevel 2

Hello @dklinger 

Thanks for your reply.

Essentially, we would like to create onboarding learning plans that prescribe content for specific roles and extends beyond our “foundational” product training (which is already its own learning plan).

We would also like to approach onboarding as a sort of “conversation” between new staff and their reporting manager and/or between new external implementation teams and their CS representative. Therefore, we envision building the onboarding learning plan as a “checklist” of sorts...offering links to loads of content that has already been created by SME’s but that our (tiny) education staff does not have time to convert into formal course content.

The primary reason we would like to see internal links is because we have fairly extensive “on-demand” content in the Channels/Coach & Share area of Docebo that would need to be separately re-uploaded to be included as a Learning Object in a formal course, because the Central Repository only “serves” formal courseware. (see Idea LMS-I-1903)

We would like to use Docebo as the “jumping off point” for onboarding, offering a variety of content including:

• formal courseware within the platform
  • informal/on-demand content that is also in the platform
  • AND links to additional, role-specific content that (for a variety of reasons) is hosted outside of the LMS platform itself

Being able to offer the above + create a place for the learner to reflect back to a direct manager or CS staff and track materials access/consumption seems like an very obvious and powerful use of the checklist learning object. But the idea falls down quickly without hyperlinks in the checklist itself. 

The best alternative (that we have some experience using already) is to use the HTML learning object as a place to briefly describe the intended content and offer a link to it for consumption. We use this approach currently to point learners to training exercises that are authored in our product’s Help platform. Drawbacks to this approach: 

• tracking true completion - the HTML learning object will be marked “complete” as soon as the learner opens that object and navigates away (Assignments sprinkled throughout or reflections following the content can be use to offset this...)
  • there is no means to track and/or offer reflection/conversation about the content, as is a powerful feature of the checklist LO (although we can use Assignments to address this to some extent)

We certainly welcome other thoughts/ideas on best practice ways to approach onboarding as a way of gathering multiple resources into one place for a new learner. 

Userlevel 2

We need candidates to check off that they have reviewed certain policies in their observation checklists. It would be helpful to be able to link the policies into the checklists. 

Userlevel 4

Hi Lisa - I have a very similar use case to yours. Your original post was a few months ago. I’m curious to know what you ended up doing.

Userlevel 1

Why not just make the fields in the Observation Checklists have rich text formatting, just like I do here in this reply form? It seems like just adding hyperlinks (I very much want to see them added as well!) is half a solution. Rich text formatting all the way!

Badge

@ajohnson5 would you mind sharing more info on how to do this? I can’t seem to find any option to make the checklist fields rich text. 

or if ​​​​​​@jpolson / @Lisa Genyk came up with a workable solution for this?

Thanks!

Seeking on update on this request - my use case is for New Employee Onboarding - with connections to our HRM tool and Intranet resources for review. TIA!