Skip to main content

We are taking a hard look at our current courses and trying to be consistent and methodical about designating them Formal vs. Informal. One type of course has me a little confused, that being E-learning courses that contain only recordings of previous VILT sessions or meetings and maybe a slide deck or a few PDFs. Does this count as Informal Learning? Does it change if the recording is of an actual training with learning objectives and the course maybe includes a quiz? Thanks for your 2 cents. 

I’d say it depends on the content and whether you expect to test the user on what they learned during that session (whether they attended or watched the recording). If the content is informal and you want to list in a place that may have more traffic then your catalogues,, you can add the course to a channel.

Thanks lrnlab,
I’m told that the instructors will want to use these e-learning courses (regardless of the original VILT course format) for attendance tracking, though I’m guessing that it will not usually be counted on for testing. That said, should we say that if the original VILT was formal, with learning objectives, etc., then the e-learning sidecar course should likewise be considered Formal? That would leave the e-learning course that were companion courses of VILT group meetings as Informal. 

I think you lost me...you want to use an eLearning course to track attendance to a VILT?

Yes, though the VILT would also get this information. I feel like it’s duplicative, but I only administer the platform and don’t have an instructor’s perspective. 

definitely sounds like extra work…

did you know you can set the completion of an ILT session with a test or by allowing users to watch the recorded session? This would remove the admin around tracking attendance if you want to follow a more formal learning process...