Question

Recurring Notifications

Badge

I’m new to Docebo and trying to figure out how to do this:

We have annual required training that goes out to all of our employees.  Does Docebo have the ability to create a recurring notification that will (for example) notify the manager or employee every day until the training is complete?

From what I can tell, on creating notifications, they can be scheduled to be send X number of days after enrollment if not completed, but then that is a one-time notification, correct?

21 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @BradEnglish Correct.

if you are using the “Active Until” date (due date) ion your courses, you can use the template called Course has expired. This template has options to send x hours, days or weeks before and after the due date. You can create multiples of this template with different schedules. Not great for your use case, but they work great and easy to copy.

Copy tip: when creating copies, use the HTML code option ( < > ). Click this option and you will see the HTML code. you can copy the entire code into your notification copy and them make any text updates you need.

Userlevel 5
Badge

If the goal is for learners to re-take the required training every year and it is not a “scheduled campaign,” then you may want to use the Certifications feature, which has its own notification that is automatically sent x days before the certification expires.

Badge

Thanks @lrnlab - I think I get what you’re saying.  in my case, though, I don’t want to wait until the course has expired to send the notifications.  We have a tight two-week window to complete this and I wanted to send daily notifications for those that have not completed this training.

Also, I’m not seeing where I can copy an existing notification.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Thanks @lrnlab - I think I get what you’re saying.  in my case, though, I don’t want to wait until the course has expired to send the notifications.  We have a tight two-week window to complete this and I wanted to send daily notifications for those that have not completed this training.

Also, I’m not seeing where I can copy an existing notification.

you do not need to wait for the expire date...the options allow you to send how ever many hours, days or weeks BEFORE the due date (as well as after), your choice.

The “event” is the due date

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@BradEnglish there is no outright copy function...what I do is the following:

• open the notification you want to copy
  • Select the Email tab > then the language you want to copy
  • then, just above the Description box, you will see the HTML option ( < > )
  • once the panel opens, you will see the code
  • Copy the entire code, then paste it into your new (copy) template. All the formatting, language, fonts, etc. are copied instantly to the new template…

I find this saves me a lot of time especially when I only need to change a few words or small formatting changes. I also use this to have a consistent template across our organizations.and you dont need to be an HTML expert to do this.

Badge

@lrnlab - thank you so much!  I’m working on it now.  My instance, though, only has the option to schedule “manually” and “after the event”, but not “before the event”.   I need to look into why….

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@lrnlab - thank you so much!  I’m working on it now.  My instance, though, only has the option to schedule “manually” and “after the event”, but not “before the event”.   I need to look into why….

Are you sure you have the correct template?

it’s called Course has expired 

Badge

@lrnlab - that was it.  I was looking at the “Learner has yet to complete a course” template.  Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@lrnlab - that was it.  I was looking at the “Learner has yet to complete a course” template.  Thank you!

Yes that one works in the enrolment date, not the due date so it only counts forward. 

Badge

@lrnlab - one more follow up question.  If someone has completed the course, will they still get the reminder?  That part was not clear in the instructions.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

No they do not

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

@BradEnglish You can use multiple notifications of the ‘Learner has yet to complete a course’ to be able to send various reminders.  For instance we have reminders go out at 2 weeks after initial enrollment, 7 days prior to due date, and day before due date and then send a notice of overdue to employee and manager.  We standardized on both 30 & 60 day time frames, so setting these up was easy to count the days from enrollment.

@lrnlab I thought the ‘Course has expired’ event was related to the validity period vs the days of validity?

Course has expired Triggers when a course's end date is about to be or has already passed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Jtischler the Validity Period is to set a period for which the course is available to users whereas the Days of Validity works to set a period of time (either from enrolment date or date the content was launched) that the user has to complete the course. If not used with the Soft Deadline, the course is locked after that time.

https://help.docebo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020126779-Managing-the-Time-Options-for-Courses

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

@lrnlab I understand that, but the days of validity imposes a due date whereas the validity period just makes the course available during a specified time frame.  In the OP I inferred that DOV was being used with mention of a due date and reminders, not that he wanted the course to not be visible/available.  In our use cases we don’t just make courses available for a window of time, rather they are available all the time, but are required to be taken within a given timeframe.  As they say, there’s more than one way to skin a cat! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Jtischler I only use “Days of validity” to set due dates for users...we do not set “end dates” for most courses except some compliance course that have a shelf life of 1 year. In the latter case, some admins choose to lock the course after the 1 year period but this is completely separate from setting a due date for individual users.

So, Validity Period is to set a period of time the course is available to anyone who an access it, regardless of the whet they start it, are in progress, etc.

Whereas the Days of Validity applies to users and sets a due date based on 1 of 2 conditions the admin can choose (the enrolment date, or the date they first launched the content).

Hope that helps to clarify.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

@lrnlab Thanks, I am clear on that, maybe I wasn’t clear in my question.  In the thread you had suggested to use the ‘Course has expired’ event for the notification reminder. 

I am saying that I thought that ‘Course has expired’ event was related to the Validity period of the course, and not to the due date in DOV that I assumed OP was using. OP’s ask was for a reminder notification focused on due date.

I would think that OP (as I would myself), would not want a notification of course expiration to go out to all users enrolled, rather would just want reminders to go out only to those who not completed the course thereby needing the DOV field referenced in the ’Learner has yet to complete a course’ event.

Does that make sense?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Jtischler yes it does...the Course has expired template actually works off the “days of Validity” and not the Validity Period...We use this template all the time to alert users of upcoming due dates… the title of the template is confusing I admit (like many others...lol).

The Learner has yet to complete course only works from the enrolment date so not very effective when you want to set the dame due date for all users (that were not all enrolled at the same, etc); unless everyone gets the same amount of time to complete (e.g.: 30 days from enrolment) vs. a set due date (which happens quite a but with some compliance courses (e.g.: December 31, 2022)

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

@lrnlab ok perfect.  That’s why I was a little confused on your earlier post.  We always use a 30/60 day time frame vs a specific date so always use days of validity with the Learner has yet to complete a course.  Does the ‘Course has expired’ fire to all enrollees or just ones who have not completed?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Jtischler no worries....just those who havent yet completed the course.

Took me a while to figure it out and its as only once I set one up and saw the options to send Before or After the event was that my tipoff that it must work based off the “Active Until” date on each user record.

I have the same requirement to send recurring notification until an employee passes a course/test. If I understand correctly, I need to configure all the notifications that I want to send. For eg. If I want to send 10 notifications, I need to configure and activate 10 notifications. That’s helpful in some cases but let’s say I want to send notifications every week to employees until they complete the course. There’s no strict deadline. In that case, It’d be helpful to configure a single notification that sends every week until the employee completes the course. If the completion window is let’s say 3 months, it’s really not efficient to have 12 notifications and so on depending on the completion window. 

Wait. I guess I found the option. The `Digest: Learner has yet to complete a course` event type has `Every`  option.