Skip to main content
Best Answer

Remove Old Learning Plan from User Lists

• 3 July 2024
  • 6 replies

I have a learning plan that we are no longer using.  I do not want to delete it, as I want to keep the records of when people were enrolled and whether they completed it or not.  I have unpublished all of the courses within the learning plan, changed statuses of those who were incomplete on courses to “suspended” on said courses.  So people no longer have access to any of the courses within the LP.  I have unpublished the LP, as well. However, it is still showing up on peoples’ “My Current Learning”.  I don’t know what else I can do to get rid of it, as it seems I cannot change someone’s enrollment status to suspended on the LP itself.  Any ideas?

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

As far as I know there is no status for leaning plans other than the standard; enrolled, in progress and completed. However these are based on actions taken by the user and cannot be changed by an admin.

As for seeing the courses and LP...users who are assigned will always see the plan regardless. The users can choose to hide them if they so wish but an admin cannot do that on their behalf.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@maryanneharrison One approach to this issue is to make certain that the learning plan is not assigned to any catalogs/channels/branches/groups that appear on dashboards.

The other approach that I take, for LPs that have been discontinued for some period of time, is to create a routine archive process using APIs. Took me about 8 days to figure out all of the information I needed for the APIs, build the reports that show me who has completed the LP, and get a process in place for weekly reviewing the reports and moving the users.

1. Create a course shell that is titled as the equivalent of the learning plan. No training materials, just the shell. Set the equivalent in this shell to all of the courses that are in the learning plan. You may be able to use a course shell for more than one learning plan, based on similarity of the learning plans.
  2. Assign, and complete, this course shell to everyone that has completed the learning plan.
  3. Remove the users from the learning plan, BUT NOT THE COURSES. This allows you to keep scores for the courses, as well as the user being able to revisit the course in the future.

The end result is that the persons who are still enrolled in the LPs are those who are actively completing the content. I hope that this will also help in the future when I have to add a new course to the LP, but don’t want to impact all of those who have completed older “versions” of the LP.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@KMallette Yes it has been removed from the catalog, channels, etc, but because people were enrolled in it and I don’t want to delete that historical data, it’s still showing up on their current learning.

As for your steps, it seems to only work for capturing data of those who completed the learning plan.  What about those who did not complete it?  How do you keep those historical records?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@KMallette Yes it has been removed from the catalog, channels, etc, but because people were enrolled in it and I don’t want to delete that historical data, it’s still showing up on their current learning.

As for your steps, it seems to only work for capturing data of those who completed the learning plan.  What about those who did not complete it?  How do you keep those historical records?

Good question… at first, I wanted to keep the courses that they had completed, but not those that were “in progress”.  Over time, I could see that most of these users never came back to finish up the LP, so I simply removed them from the old LP. And if they don’t complete the LP, we aren’t really interested in that data as they don’t enter our workforce.

The LPs that are involved here are routinely updated and “versioned”, with the newest always available on the dashboards. So if these persons did ever come back they would be able to begin again, with the most current version.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@lrnlab This is good information.  Thank you!

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@maryanneharrison We are working/struggling with the same topic. What you have done is about all that can be done if you want to keep the historical data for LP. You can teach learners how to hide the LPs, however, they will still see the unpublished courses as well. Learners will need to know to hide both courses/LPs to remove them from their view.

One idea we were thinking about about is pulling a final report before an LP is archived, then store it centrally. Typically in our case, when we archive an LP, all the courses from the LP have also been archived. From there we would remove the courses from the LP, archive enrollments which would remove the courses from the learners “My Current Learning” area. That would require additional work and our teams would need to know where the information is located, which can be difficult sometimes.