Question

Restrict viewing of learning plans in a catalogue

• 12 December 2022
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

How can I restrict users from seeing and enrolling in a learning plan? The learning plan is in a shared catalogue but I only want the enrolled users to see it. I can do this with courses in the learning plan but the plan still shows up in the catalogue and allows anyone with access to the catalogue to enrol.

Any ideas??

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

if it’s only for user already enrolled I think you can remove it from the catalogue. Those enrolled should still see it.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

No they don’t if the ‘Show learning plan in course library isn’t ticked then even those enrolled won’t see it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Actually I meant you can remove it from the actual Catalogue(s) and it will no longer be searchable by others if they are not already enrolled. You can leave that setting as is but just remove it from the physical catalogue. Just tried it and it seems to work...give I t a try.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

I want it to appear in the catalogue for a subset of users eg those that have already been enrolled.

That’s why I’m asking the question to see if this is possible. You can do this with courses. Which is shown below. I want to do the same thing with learning plans. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

hmm, not sure this option works fro LP’s, It still appears in the global search for those enrolled. Why do you need this to show in a catalogue for those already enrolled?

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

We have a catalogue for the design team, one learning plan is for the design team everything else is for everyone. We don’t want to have another catalogue just for one learning plan

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Ah and if you enrolled your design team in the LP would that get you what you need?

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Ah and if you enrolled your design team in the LP would that get you what you need?

Exactly

Userlevel 7
Badge

Hi @Lucy.blake! I can see how useful this would be for you, and I’m wondering if a channel may be a better solution for you here than a catalog. You can set up a channel with Learning Plans, and so long as the Show courses where users can self-enroll in channels setting in Advanced Settings isn’t on, the channel will only show users those LPs that they’ve enrolled in. Here are the steps:

1. Create a Channel
  2. Set the appropriate visibility for the Channel
  3. Add a Channel widget to your page and select the Channel(s) you'd like to display in the widget
  4. Add your Learning Plan(s) to the desired Channel(s)
  5. Navigate to ⚙️ Admin Menu > Advanced Settings > Channels and ensure that Show courses where users can self-enroll in channels is not checked

Do you think this solution might work for you?

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Unfortunately not as we have channels where we want users to self enrol on courses. So for a one off learning path that won’t really work. But thanks for the idea