Retiring Courses and Learning Plans

Show first post

29 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

@alena.kowalski I too struggle with retiring courses and learning plans and took a similar approach. 

I’m curious as to why you are removing all the courses from the learning plan and leaving the shell? I know if you don’t the users will still be able to see the completed lp but without the courses for context what is the value of it to the users? 

Userlevel 1

@dianex.gomez  It is a great question I had to reconsider today. The idea was that keeping the learning plan shell would retain the certificate they earned from completing it in their transcript, I since learned it doesn’t work that way. Since we unenrolled all users from the learning plan even if they completed it, it is as good as gone. 

We just don’t want to take away a certificate that someone earned. We are considering attaching the certificate to the last course in the learning plan instead (this course we also retired) because for the courses we retired, we were able to only unenroll “enrolled” and “in progress” users. Since the other courses were prereqs, we know anyone that completed the final course in the learning plan has completed the entire thing.

Did you do anything differently with your approach? I would be curious to know. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

I didn’t unenroll anyone who completed courses the learning plan. I left the courses in the lp and unpublished them. For a user they still see all the courses but they are locked. I’m still considering a title change to start with “Retired: Course Title”. That way it is clear that the courses are not in maintenance and will not be returning for consumption.

I’ve also considered doing the same to the lp title. My hesidency is reporting. I would have to filter out “Retired:” when reporting on historical courses or the report would look weird when in a list with active courses. Maybe that isn’t such a bad thing, I’m still thinking on it. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

We did have changed courses to not allow self-enrollments and have added INACTIVE to the front of the titles so that anyone already enrolled would still “see” the courses but know that they were no longer active.  When removing from catalogs, we found that their Power Users could no longer see the courses on reports, so we stopped doing that.  But with leaving them in catalogs, we found that Power Users were still able to enroll themselves and others into the courses.  I can’t remember what effect changing them to Under Maintenance had on the courses as far as Power Users being able to enroll users - I *think* it blocked them, but I can’t remember for sure.  We are still battling to find the best way to retire a course...