Badge +1

Can you attach a PDF to a notification? 

icon

Best answer by SuperShaune 23 June 2021, 12:18

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

@ncassella I don’t believe there is a way to attach a pdf, unless there’s some way to do it with html--maybe someone else has a trick for this. But, what we do instead is link in the notification to the relevant file (a google doc, or google slides) whereby a user with the link only has “view” rights. We name the google file with the following standard as in this example: “Observable SEL Skills-COPY, PRINT, or DOWNLOAD to Use” so the user knows they can copy, print, or download a copy of their own. In a few cases we have uploaded docs and pdfs to our Wordpress site and also linked to them there. Hope that helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

HI @ncassella I do not believe this is an option for notifications however the Newsletter app does allow attachments up to 10MB. Another option to add things like reference materials is to use the course widget called “File repository area”...we renamed ours to “Resources / Files” so it’s more user friendly. This can house files that users can download + you can designate “who” can see what + whether they can download or not. It has come in very handy for materials you don't need to track but are important to supplement the courses.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Thank you so much! I used the link and it worked fine. And we are using the file repository widget which is a great tool. That’s good to know that the newsletter app can hold an attachment.

Thank you again!

Userlevel 4
Badge

Have you tried Deep Links for Go.Learn?
Deep Linking for the Go.Learn App – Docebo Help & Support

I admit I haven’t gotten them to work and have a ticket open to address the error I am getting, but I am hopeful this will be a great tool for us to add references in our proprietary app that will launch the Go,Learn app.  We have not implemented SSO, but that is coming.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Great suggestion @lrnlab - I always feel that the newsletter feature can be leveraged more… I know we talked through some HTML suggestions here that might come in handy for notifications as well. 

I’ve just run a test with the newsletter app - but it will work on notifications too - using a direct download link that I created on for a pdf that I have in Google Drive. I’ve used the following HTML and confirm that this downloads directly when clicking on the link:

<a href="https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1QI_iy9TSvVyZwnDTQagCGCx2Se2ceEHx" style="color:#0465ac; text-decoration:underline; font-weight: 600;" target="_blank">Exclusive Rebranded Mobile App Features</a>

The view from within the email I received looks like this:

Curious to understand if this approach can work or if anyone has some other examples?

Shaune

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Great suggestion @lrnlab - I always feel that the newsletter feature can be leveraged more… I know we talked through some HTML suggestions here that might come in handy for notifications as well. 

I’ve just run a test with the newsletter app - but it will work on notifications too - using a direct download link that I created on for a pdf that I have in Google Drive. I’ve used the following HTML and confirm that this downloads directly when clicking on the link:

<a href="https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1QI_iy9TSvVyZwnDTQagCGCx2Se2ceEHx" style="color:#0465ac; text-decoration:underline; font-weight: 600;" target="_blank">Exclusive Rebranded Mobile App Features</a>

@SuperShaune this is awesome. Thank you for sharing the HTML! I’m curious, did you have to use a specific type of link from Google Drive? What format does the link to the file need to be in in order to prompt a direct download? There’s a tip in this video that shares one way to allow others to download a Google Doc directly as a PDF. I’m interested to understand other possible ways to do this!

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Ciao @Adam Ballhaussen :)

I just used this: https://sites.google.com/site/gdocs2direct/home

It’s pretty straightforward and nice clear instructions on how to get your link. I’m super curious to try that /export?format=pdf suggestion from the video now, though. :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@SuperShaune Love it, that site seems super easy. Thanks for sharing!

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Thanks @SuperShaune 

I’ve just used it in an HTML page as part of a course. Also for those who are Microsoft people you can get a direct download link by changing the link slightly. 

“Now, just remove everything after the ? and put in download=1 and magic happens”

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/onedrive-for-business/get-direct-download-link-of-a-file-in-onedrive-for-business/m-p/149766