Question

Send notification to slack channel

Does anybody know if/how to have a notification sent to a slack channel when content is added or uploaded to a channel in Docebo?  We have some internal communities that would like to share content and they are using custom channels to keep things organized but their communication is primarily done in their groups slack channel. I would like to set up something so that when anybody shares anything or uploads content to “Group X” channel in Docebo a notification is sent to “#Group-X” channel in slack saying “new content has been shared in your communities learning channel”.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Have you thought about enabling the Slack app in Docebo? Its availability may depend on what type of account you have. 

We do have the slack app activated but it was setup/configured before I joined the organization and I'm not seeing the options I would need as far as sending messages to a channel. I’m probably just not seeing something or overlooking something, but I also don't have anyone here to ask or documentation for our setup/config.  Has anyone used Docebo/Slack in the way that I described above and able to point me in the right direction for how to configure a notification to message slack?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Have not used the Slack app, but from reading, check out the Composing a Slack Notification section of this page:

https://help.docebo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020126259-Managing-and-Sending-Notifications

It seems like, you should be able to just go to the notification are, select the event, maybe ‘New Content Published’ or ‘New Content Uploaded’ depending on your setup, then select Slack as the notification method and put what you would like and save. I was not seeing choices of channels in this for regular email, so not sure how specific you can get.

If that doesn’t work, it would require some type of third party tool or custom setup, probably using a webhook set to run when channel content is added and can connect into your slack environment.

It sounds like turning on this integration with Slack though can mess with your provisioning… what’s the deal with that? I would ideally want to promote courses and offerings via slack but without worrying about it messing up the provisioning we’ve already done via SSO integration.

It sounds like turning on this integration with Slack though can mess with your provisioning… what’s the deal with that? I would ideally want to promote courses and offerings via slack but without worrying about it messing up the provisioning we’ve already done via SSO integration.

Sorry to add several months later -- but yes, you are correct that the Slack integration can only be used if you ONLY use Slack for user provisioning. There are a few problems with this

• Slack usernames do not always match Docebo/HRIS usernames, do it creates duplicates (thousands of them, in my case)
  • No way to ‘map’ users based on email addresses in Slack and Docebo
  • No way to limit who gets imported (for example, we have partners/vendors in Slack whose information should never be in Docebo)

The Slack app really would be useful if we could send notifications without having to provision from that platform. As-is, I can’t imagine many organizations find value in it, unfortunately.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

I am experimenting with sending Slack notifications to a public channel without having syncing with our individual users.  In our use case, we would like to notify a specific public channel when a learner assignment has been submitted so the instructors assigned to the course can collaborate on who will evaluate each submission. We really need to be able to direct the notifications for different assignments to different channels.  Not sure if this will be possible through this app.

Does anyone else have any experience with this successful or otherwise?

Badge

Greetings! The field that specifies the Slack channel no longer appears. So my question is where does it go?

Greetings! The field that specifies the Slack channel no longer appears. So my question is where does it go?

You can still specify the channel that [Slack] Notifications are sent to in the Notifications settings screen as usual: 

You are right though, the setting in the actual Slack integration App selecting a default Channel has disappeared.

Badge

Thanks @JumpingBeanTraining !