Best Answer

Should I use the same course code for different languages?

• 24 October 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

We publish courses in three languages, and during implementation I was advised to use the same code for all 3 versions of a course to make it easier to report collectively. However, after using Docebo for a while now, I think I would prefer to use seperate codes for each language. If you publish courses in different languages, how do you handle the course codes? Do you use a common or a unique code? And in your experience, what are the advantages and disadvantages of each method?

icon

Best answer by jmkachidurian 24 October 2022, 17:22

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

@Daniel We use a separate course code in our schema in which most of the course data is identiical but the last 2 characters reflect the language code.  This works for us to report on courses with the same initial code chararacteristics and lets us differientiate the courses as well.  We don’t see a down side to it as yet but we’ve only been working with this process for a few months.  I am interested to see what others recommend.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@jmkachidurian@Daniel  We do the same this … a single letter at the end of the course code notes the language. We’ve been using this approach for about 6 or 7 years across two LMS platforms, and it works well.

Regards,

KMallette/Viasat, Inc.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

We do a mixture depending on the course. Many do above as you can just search the core of the code and easily add all languages to the report.

Some, the content handles the language idenitfication and reports it back as a test result, this sounded good on paper to some but gets weird to report on.

On VILTs, the course is all one and then the sessions are all in english unless led by ‘Spanish -’ or similar depending on the language, so one report gets it and just filter.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Many thanks for the responses! It sounds like it shouldn’t be a problem adding a letter to the end of the code to denote the language, so I think that’s what we’ll do. My next question: Is there a way to add a letter to the end of the codes in bulk, or do we need to go into into each course and do it manually? I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but our courses are organized into folders, with a separate folder for each language.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

If you’re comfortable using the API you could update them in there, except you’d have to collect the course ids first so you would probably end up going to each course anyways…

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Thanks, we don’t have any experience with the API, so it looks like we’ll need to do it manually.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Yeah. Unless you had some stuff setup not sure it would be much faster. I assume you could use the automation app to update with a proper formatted csv file as well, but then balance how long to make that file the one time.