Best Answer

Showing only compliance courses to be completed

• 6 January 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi all.  Happy New Year!

I have an issue, that I hope someone has been able to solve in the past or has any ideas about.

I want to have a widget to show the status of ‘compliance training’ so that learners can quickly and easily see if they have outstanding courses to complete.  We currently have the Task List widget in use, but this lists all courses that they are enrolled onto for the year, so not easy to identify those that are compliance.

I have tried to do a custom content box that has a URL for the ‘courses and learning plans’ page that is filtered - this works great - however the filter stays on when you click on the page in the menu as well, so this won’t work (without constantly telling people to unfilter to see all results).

I have also tried a catalogue widget, but the filter doesn’t allow me to filter by completion, nor does it allow me to show the ‘not started’ courses first.

My latest attempt is a channels widget, but the filtering doesn’t stay on, and then still have the issue of the ‘not started’ courses not appearing first in the list.

Sorry for the long post, but has anyone got any other ideas?

TiA Neil

icon

Best answer by Neil Patterson 6 January 2022, 16:13

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

We ended up putting three instances of the Courses and Learning Plans widget on a page each displaying the different enrollment statuses.  This has been helpful in our compliance trainings because we enroll everyone for training, so the courses will automatically appear on the widget for “Not Started”. So then users can get through the training that is in the first two widgets and then know they are completed. 

Unfortunately, if they are enrolling in training outside of compliance, they will also appear on these widgets, but it still makes the stuff you need to complete easier to find.

Here is an example of what our widgets look like:

We did end up putting these on a separate page from the user’s homescreen because these widgets can take up a lot of space.  But you could save space by only adding two widgets for the Not Started and In Progress courses.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @Neil Patterson 

We adopted a similar approach to @Annarose.Peterson.  In addition, when adding these widgets to a separate page, you can create links to “pre-filtered” instances. 

When you filter or sort the widgets, the filter options are encoded in the URL. You can then use this URL for the buttons/links on your homepage (however, you cannot link to the pre-filtered widget page from the side menu, sadly). 

You could create a Course Additional Field to flag whether a given course is mandatory / compliance related, and use this field to pre-filter the widgets. 

To avoid users removing or changing the filters, you can use CSS to hide the filter bars.  

Hope this helps!

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

We ended up putting three instances of the Courses and Learning Plans widget on a page each displaying the different enrollment statuses.  This has been helpful in our compliance trainings because we enroll everyone for training, so the courses will automatically appear on the widget for “Not Started”. So then users can get through the training that is in the first two widgets and then know they are completed. 

Unfortunately, if they are enrolling in training outside of compliance, they will also appear on these widgets, but it still makes the stuff you need to complete easier to find.

Here is an example of what our widgets look like:

We did end up putting these on a separate page from the user’s homescreen because these widgets can take up a lot of space.  But you could save space by only adding two widgets for the Not Started and In Progress courses.

Thanks @Annarose.Peterson.  We have the task list currently that basically shows the same thing (just smaller), but as our lawyers are enrolled in multiple ILT courses throughout the year, as you say, it shows up everything :(

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @Neil Patterson 

We adopted a similar approach to @Annarose.Peterson.  In addition, when adding these widgets to a separate page, you can create links to “pre-filtered” instances. 

When you filter or sort the widgets, the filter options are encoded in the URL. You can then use this URL for the buttons/links on your homepage (however, you cannot link to the pre-filtered widget page from the side menu, sadly). 

You could create a Course Additional Field to flag whether a given course is mandatory / compliance related, and use this field to pre-filter the widgets. 

To avoid users removing or changing the filters, you can use CSS to hide the filter bars.  

Hope this helps!

Thanks @Alan - I hadn’t thought of using the widgets on a separate page.  I tried filtering the ‘Courses and Learning Plans page’ and used that URL which seemed to work until it continued to be filtered even if the URL wasn't (if that makes sense?)  I’ll try it with the widget in the same way

Userlevel 4

It’s not a replacement to having a dedicated list of required training on the dashboard, but we use the “Digest: learner has yet to complete the course” notification to send a list of incomplete required/assigned courses to learners each week. I created a version of the notification with a table containing the [course_name], [subscribed_at], and [expire_at] short codes for the Course, Date Assigned, and Date Due columns respectively. The [course_name] is a direct link to the course in the LMS, so the learner can use it as a list to access the training.