Best Answer

Single course enrollment due notification

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

OK. What am I missing? Why can’t I send a notification to a user that their single course enrollment due date is looming large and they haven’t completed the course?

I see the parked idea about tying notifications to due dates. Which tells me maybe I’m NOT crazy.

So, what are you all doing to work around this problem? Putting a single course in a learning plan with days of validity or enrollment end dates? Using certifications?

icon

Best answer by lrnlab 27 April 2022, 20:22

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @lhubbard not at all...We are using the notification called, Course has Expired that carries a time element (when do you want to send this? before the due date or after - no option in this template to send ON the due date) + you need to have an “Active Until” date on the user enrolment. We created a few copies, each going out at a different # off days before and after the due dates (e.g.: 15 days before, 1 day before, 1 day after)

Otherwise you can use the one called, Learner has yet to completed a course, however this one works from the Enrollment date and not the due date (Active Until date)

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hmm. This might be a terminology thing. Here is my understanding…..

The course expiration is for the whole course no matter who is enrolled. The course is ‘active’ in that date range. This is set with the validity period in the course settings.

The enrollment due date is specific to that user and is set with the active from and until. It is effectively the due date for that learner.

I am looking at the enrollment due date.

Edit: I think I misread that last part. So you ‘reverse engineer’ it. If the enrollment due date is 90 days from the enrollment date, you set the ‘learner has not completed the course’ notification to fire off 60 days from the enrollment date? What is the difference then between the enrollment date, and the active from date on the enrollment?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@lhubbard to your last point, the Active From date is usually the same as the enrolment date but it something that can be different depending on the course settings.

Not sure what you mean in the 2nd line...the name of the notification is misleading but I have tested and am using this today and it works based off the Active Until date (due date).

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

@lrnlab Maybe a specific scenario will help.

The course itself has nothing set for time options. No validity period. No Days of Validity.

Imagine this is what the enrollment looks like in the course.

I can’t create a notification that triggers X days before May 6th telling the learner to complete the course.

I can use the “yet to complete” notification if I say trigger it X days AFTER the (enrollment date or active date this is still not clear to me).

So in theory, if I always had the course due 2 weeks after the active from date, I could create a “yet to complete” notification that triggers 7 days after the active from date to achieve the idea of triggering it X number of days before it is due.

Are you using the notification differently?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Yes I think you have it. The “Learner has yet to complete” works off the Enrollment Date (the Event) so you would need to count backwards from the time you want the notifications to go out (assuming this is your due date). This breaks down if your enrolments are done at different times but you want everyone to complete the course by the same date.

This is why we implemented the Active Until date (due date) and then we use the Course has Expired notification that works based on the due date (Active Until date). This one allows you to be more precise as to when you want the users too get the reminder.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Part of the confusion is there is an “Active until” date at the enrollment level. I believe that this does not expire the course. Correct?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

no it does not...if you are not using a validity period or due date, you do not need to input anything in that field. The notifications, Learner has yet to complete” works from the enrolment date not the Active From date. The Active to and from dates are mainly for enabling deadlines and setting a period of time the course is available, etc. The enrolment date is the date the admin enrols the users or the user self-unrolls in the course and can be different form the Active from date…

For instance, if you wanted to enroll users but only make the course active (available) from a certain date, you would use the Active From date to set the date from which the user can access the course, and then am Active Until date to lock down the course (or use the soft deadline option) once that date passes.

I agree the language is a bit confusing and the validity options as well...hopefully this will help to clarify it somewhat.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

@lrnlab Thanks for your feedback here.  I am abit confused though, may you clarify?  If you use the course expiration date as the ‘due date’, my understanding is the same as @lhubbard that this then expires the course and no one is able to enroll it it any longer.  Is this a correct understanding?  Do you then remove the expiration to allow the course to still be consumed?

In a situation where a course is assigned to all newhires via an ER leveraging days of validity, then the course expiration method would not work as the course would potentially not be available after a certain point which leaves the ‘learner has yet to complete’ option as the only viable one.  

The other downside to days of validity is that if a course is dual enrollment, meaning it is open for anyone to consume OR it is assigned to specific users, that the users who choose to consume the course end up inheriting the days of validity requirement that is set at the course.  This is just wrong in my opinion.  People who self enroll shouldn’t have a false due date imposed upon them.  The days of validity should be configured in the enrollment rule and only apply to users who are assigned the training, or by utilizing the active until field in the CSV import

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@lrnlab Thanks for your feedback here.  I am abit confused though, may you clarify?  If you use the course expiration date as the ‘due date’, my understanding is the same as @lhubbard that this then expires the course and no one is able to enroll it it any longer.  Is this a correct understanding?  Do you then remove the expiration to allow the course to still be consumed? you can always enabled the Soft Deadline that allows user to stil access the course even if the validity date is passed

In a situation where a course is assigned to all newhires via an ER leveraging days of validity, then the course expiration method would not work as the course would potentially not be available after a certain point which leaves the ‘learner has yet to complete’ option as the only viable one.  

The other downside to days of validity is that if a course is dual enrollment, meaning it is open for anyone to consume OR it is assigned to specific users, you can assign this to only one person but if you set the validity period in the course settings, that would apply to everyone from the moment you add the setting. that the users who choose to consume the course end up inheriting the days of validity requirement that is set at the course.  This is just wrong in my opinion.  People who self enroll shouldn’t have a false due date imposed upon them.  The days of validity should be configured in the enrollment rule and only apply to users who are assigned the training, or by utilizing the active until field in the CSV import

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Is there a course going into detail on how all the dates work together with scenarios? If there isn’t, how do I request one? Do we put that in the idea lab to be voted up?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

perhaps this will help: https://help.docebo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020126779-Managing-the-Time-Options-for-Courses#subtitle-2

@lrnlabMaybe a specific scenario will help.

The course itself has nothing set for time options. No validity period. No Days of Validity.

Imagine this is what the enrollment looks like in the course.

I can’t create a notification that triggers X days before May 6th telling the learner to complete the course.

I can use the “yet to complete” notification if I say trigger it X days AFTER the (enrollment date or active date this is still not clear to me).

So in theory, if I always had the course due 2 weeks after the active from date, I could create a “yet to complete” notification that triggers 7 days after the active from date to achieve the idea of triggering it X number of days before it is due.

Are you using the notification differently?

Quick question for you,  Is there a way to send a notification every day that a course is overdue? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@jritter yes...you need to create a copy of the notification for each time you want to send it...so..1 for 1 day overdue, another sent 2 days after due date, and so on. Not the easiest set-up but ti will work. I would recommend you send them out every 2-3days instead of everyday...you don't want to spam your users.