Best Answer

Soft Deadline for course in learning plan, but open in catalog

• 27 July 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi Everyone,

How do I set a deadline for a course in a particular learning plan, but have it available as an open course to anyone else who takes it outside of that learning plan?

IE- I need everyone in a particular learning plan to finish a course before an ILT session (specific date). This course is a technology course, so anyone at the organization can take it by signing up from the catalog, but there’s no requirement or deadline for taking it.

icon

Best answer by lrnlab 27 July 2023, 19:37

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

HI @EmilyW_Tacoma unfortunately you cannot have 2 different settings on a single course. You could create a duplicate of the course and place 1 in the LP with your deadline and the other in the catalogue.

Or, if your enrolment numbers are small, you can manually add a deadline to those enrolled in the LP on the course.

Userlevel 3
Badge

HI @EmilyW_Tacoma unfortunately you cannot have 2 different settings on a single course. You could create a duplicate of the course and place 1 in the LP with your deadline and the other in the catalogue.

Or, if your enrolment numbers are small, you can manually add a deadline to those enrolled in the LP on the course.

That’s too bad. Is there something I can do to show the deadline to the learners in the learning plan? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

has a poke around and it appears as you can only set the due date for the overall LP, even with a course that has a due date on it, it doesn't seem to apply once it’s in an LP.

https://help.docebo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020083980-Creating-and-Managing-Learning-Plans#subtitle-8

Userlevel 3
Badge

has a poke around and it appears as you can only set the due date for the overall LP, even with a course that has a due date on it, it doesn't seem to apply once it’s in an LP.

https://help.docebo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020083980-Creating-and-Managing-Learning-Plans#subtitle-8

Thank you for all the answers!

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi Everyone,

How do I set a deadline for a course in a particular learning plan, but have it available as an open course to anyone else who takes it outside of that learning plan?

IE- I need everyone in a particular learning plan to finish a course before an ILT session (specific date). This course is a technology course, so anyone at the organization can take it by signing up from the catalog, but there’s no requirement or deadline for taking it.

@EmilyW_Tacoma  I think you accomplish the soft deadline with two enrollments; one made to the course first with an enrollment deadline, then wrap all the courses into the learning plan.

1. enroll users into all courses and enforce an enrollment deadline to all or some courses
  2. go back and enroll the user into the learning plan

This method will allow you to enforce course level due dates (that display on the course and card level) for the learners selected without impacting the overall course presentation to anyone discovering it in the catalog. While this is duplicative work, it does allow for the soft deadline. 

For example, I have a learning plan with 5 courses all needing the same soft deadline. The same strategy can work for a subset of courses needing the deadline or different deadlines. To achieve the desired outcome, I followed these Course enrollment steps:

1. Log into [platform]
  2. Select the Admin Menu
  3. Select Course Management under E-LEARNING in the Admin Menu 
  4. Use the search option to locate and select:
    1. Course 1
    2. Course 2
    3. Course 3
    4. Course 4
    5. Course 5
  5. Select Choose Action then Enroll User
  6. Select Manage Enrollments > Enroll Users from the upper-right hand corner
  7. Select Groups > [group name]
    1. Level is Learner
    2. Enable Enrollment Deadline > End of Validity [date]
    3. Time Zone GMT-05:00 America/Chicago

After Course enrollments were complete, I moved onto the learning plan enrollment:

1. Select the Admin Menu
  2. Select Learning Plans under E-LEARNING in the Admin Menu
  3. Use the search option to locate:
    1. Learning Plan 1
  4. Select Enroll Users
  5. Select Assign Users
  6. Select Groups > [group name]
  7. Confirm
    1. *Enrollment into learning plan and email notification will take place after CONFIRM is selected. Be sure that all information is correct before selecting Confirm

If you have course notifications enabled, you may want to consider suppressing those and making the notification trigger on the learning plan enrollment instead to save your users some headaches with all the emails. 

I know these are a lot of steps, but we found this the only method to achieve a soft deadline for courses within a learning plan to segments of our users. Therefore, I encourage you to vote for this feature if you haven’t already: 

Learning Plan - Soft Deadline | Community (docebo.com)

Userlevel 3

Hi Everyone,

@EmilyW_Tacoma  I think you accomplish the soft deadline with two enrollments; one made to the course first with an enrollment deadline, then wrap all the courses into the learning plan.

1. enroll users into all courses and enforce an enrollment deadline to all or some courses

This method will allow you to enforce course level due dates (that display on the course and card level) for the learners selected without impacting the overall course presentation to anyone discovering it in the catalog. While this is duplicative work, it does allow for the soft deadline. 

For example, I have a learning plan with 5 courses all needing the same soft deadline. The same strategy can work for a subset of courses needing the deadline or different deadlines. To achieve the desired outcome, I followed these Course enrollment steps:

1. Log into [platform]
  2. Select the Admin Menu
    1. Course 1
    2. Course 2
    3. Course 3
    4. Course 4
    5. Course 5
    1. Level is Learner

After Course enrollments were complete, I moved onto the learning plan enrollment:

1. Select the Admin Menu
    1. Learning Plan 1
  4. Select Enroll Users
  5. Select Assign Users
  7. Confirm
    1. *Enrollment into learning plan and email notification will take place after CONFIRM is selected. Be sure that all information is correct before selecting Confirm

If you have course notifications enabled, you may want to consider suppressing those and making the notification trigger on the learning plan enrollment instead to save your users some headaches with all the emails. 

I know these are a lot of steps, but we found this the only method to achieve a soft deadline for courses within a learning plan to segments of our users. Therefore, I encourage you to vote for this feature if you haven’t already: 

Can we still have No Deadline on All of our courses unless they have been Assigned?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi Everyone,

1. Log into [platform]
  2. Select the Admin Menu
    1. Course 1
    2. Course 2
    3. Course 3
    4. Course 4
    5. Course 5
    1. Level is Learner

1. Select the Admin Menu
    1. Learning Plan 1
  4. Select Enroll Users
  5. Select Assign Users
  7. Confirm

Can we still have No Deadline on All of our courses unless they have been Assigned?

@tom.albright yes, that is how we have it configured. Apply the enrollment deadline when enrolling the users, and make no changes to the timing options in the course configuration.