Still no release date for recurring completions

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Per this morning’s release readiness call, there’s still no release date for supporting recurring or multiple completions in Learn. 

I’m desperate for a solid workaround as we have several mandatory annual trainings, and I would appreciate links and suggestions.

One workaround that I am considering is creating annual courses such as Course A 2023, Course A 2024, etc. I want to get the completions that have been done in the core course for 2023 into the actual 2023 course. 

10 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

We currently have several internal courses that are done annually - we create them as new courses each year so we can track 2022 completions vs 2023 completions, etc.  We do the same for ILT courses - most of ours are set up so they only attend one session per year, then we create a new course for the following year in case they would like to attend again during the next year.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi Billso.

Not great, indeed. 

For annual compliance, where we ask users to re-take their training, we use the re-training app, basically, attach a 365 day expiry certificate to their completion. 

Would be cool if Docebo didn’t reset their completion as soon as the certificate has expired though.

I recently had another case in which one of my stakeholders wanted everyone to re-take the course. I just created a new one, and archived the previous one - very similar to what @sjennings78 is saying above.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Hi Billso.

Not great, indeed. 

For annual compliance, where we ask users to re-take their training, we use the re-training app, basically, attach a 365 day expiry certificate to their completion. 

Would be cool if Docebo didn’t reset their completion as soon as the certificate has expired though.

I recently had another case in which one of my stakeholders wanted everyone to re-take the course. I just created a new one, and archived the previous one - very similar to what @sjennings78 is saying above.

Sabine, thanks for your suggestion! I’m trying to avoid the certifications and retraining app, as my understanding is when a new completion is done that user’s previous completion is lost from the user’s record? Perhaps I am missing something here. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

We currently have several internal courses that are done annually - we create them as new courses each year so we can track 2022 completions vs 2023 completions, etc.  We do the same for ILT courses - most of ours are set up so they only attend one session per year, then we create a new course for the following year in case they would like to attend again during the next year.

That looks like the road I’m heading towards...

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hey Billso,

I’d test it out, but there’s that one small sentence in the user documentation, that says:

“When you re-certify a course, the completion of all training materials associated with the course is reset. (...) Please note that courses will not change their completion status, only training materials will reset their progress.”

I’d assume that you would still be able to report on the course completion status itself (e.g. in a report you set up), but the actual training material completion would be reset and the user would get notified that their certification is up for renewal.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hey again! I’ve just tested this and unfortunately it does reset the Course enrolment status too 😥

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

😩

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

😩

I liked this emoji but I can’t say that I like how if feel about all of this 😄

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hey again! I’ve just tested this and unfortunately it does reset the Course enrolment status too 😥

FWIW this is what we found in our testing too. 

We create new courses to track completion data for annual compliance courses. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

We are given the worst of both scenarios. 

If you want to keep the old date (an audit) you need to create new courses every year (what a pain)

If like us you are not bothered about keeping the old date, then you can use the retraining route.  However people don't realise you have to go to a specific place to renew.  So people generally go to direct to the course page, end up going into their old attempt, and it doesn't update with a new date because there is no ability to complete multiple times.

This is an ongoing issue for us.