Teams Integration - any tips?

• 5 January 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 3

After jumping through a lot of hoops with our IT team, I’ve been able to get the Teams integrations setup to allow us to schedule webinars directly in Teams Meetings. We’re doing some testing sessions to figure out what our process will be but it seems promising. Does anyone have any tips or watch outs they can share?

For now, we’re just doing a Teams Meeting integration, not Live Events, but I’d be interested in any experience with Live Events as well. Thank you

6 replies

Userlevel 1

Hey @rich.schmick, I used this post as reference for our discovery

Lessons learned from our side are:

• You will need to create an account per instructor. To do this, you will need to have the instructors access the integration for them to pair their account. 
  • Only the instructor will see the events in their calendar, attendees will not get them through the integrations, only through a user enroll in a session notification and it needs to have the calendar attachment.
Userlevel 5
Badge

@alinabo so am I reading your post correctly that every instructor that uses teams needs their own integration? We set up an enterprise integration which I tested and it mostly worked. 

The one issue I encountered in was that both learners and instructors entered the teams meeting at presenters. I had to manually depreciate learners to attendees. Have you encountered this?

Userlevel 5
Badge

Update.. we did a bunch of tweaking and learning and here is how we set up teams meetings through Docebo into our shared outlook pairing. Hope it helps. 

If you are creating an ILT session using Teams.

This integration has been created using the shared account. Meetings created in Docebo will appear in the outlook calendar for this account. 

Steps to configure

1. Create an event in an ILT course
    1. Video Conference Tool- MS Teams Meeting
    2. Account- ETC Teams Service Account (Meeting)
    3. Set appropriate attendence options. 
    4. Set appropriate Join button options
      1. Instructors= 30 min prior
      2. learner= 10 min prior
  2. Open meeting in Outlook calendar for education.center@etcconnect.com and set up your meeting
    1. Open Scheduling assistant and add any instructors as Required Attendees
      1. If you are not the one configuring the meeting you can skip to step 3 and any co-orginizer can set up the meeting. 
    2. Open Meeting Options
      1. Who can bypass the lobby -Everyone
      2. Announce when callers join or leave - No
      3. Choose co-organizers
        1. Add the instructors
      4. Who can present? NOTE: WITHIN THE MEETING YOU CAN PROMOTE OR DEMOTE ANYONE TO PRESENT
        1. Everyone= All attendees come in as presenters
        2. Specific people= these people are presenters others are attendees
        3. Only me and Co-organizers= Only those specifically invited to the teams meeting are presenters
        4. People in my orginization and guests= anyone weith an @etcconnect.com is a presenter
      5. Allow mic for attendees - Yes
      6. Allow camera for attendees - Yes
      7. Record automatically - No (I prefer to manage when the recording starts)
      8. Allow meeting chat -  In meeting only (this means chat isn’t available before or after the meeting)
      9. Allow reactions - Yes
      10. Enable Q&A -
        1. If you want a Q&A you can enable this. Q&A will display questions to presenters and give them the ability to answer to all or answer to a specific person. 
      11. Provide CART Captions - depends on you need (either Yes or No)
      12. Enable language interpretation - depends on your need (either Yes or No)
      13. Who can record - Organizers and presenters
      14. Enable end-to-end-Encryption - No
      15. Allow attendance report (Yes)
      16. Save options
      17. Close meeting options window
    3. Save and send the outlook meeting

IMPORTANT!! IF YOU SAVE OR MODIFY THE EVENT IT RESETS THE TEAMS MEETING TO DEFAULT

Userlevel 3

Thanks, @Davefox

Userlevel 1

Hello @Davefox

Thank you for sharing this. I have question please. 

How did you go about creating the integration with a shared Outlook account in order to receive the sessions created in Docebo, directly in the calendar of this account? When did you configure the shared mailbox in the integration? Is it in the pairing process? It seems to me that shared mailboxes are not a separate account with its own username and password.

Please advise will be appreciate, thank you

Userlevel 5
Badge

@RokiaB 

There are 2 elements to making this work. In outlook you need a shared calendar. OUrs was set up by our IT department. Basically it has an email address and a calendar which we use for customer facing contact and as a shared department calendar. We also use MS Teams as our internal communication tool.  Now depending on your account information and level of in house security you may or may not need some of this, but I did. We use Open Authorization (OAuth). If you are unfamiliar is an open protocol for authorization. OAuth enables secure authorization from desktop and web applications in a simple and standard way. It lets users approve an application to act on their behalf without sharing their user name and password. For example, users can share their private resources or data (contact list, documents, photos, videos, and so on) that are stored on one site with another site, without having to provide their credentials (typically user name and password). If you have to use microsoft authenticator to log into your accounts your org uses OAth too.

This is a paired account so before creating the link in Docebo you need a number of things to make it work. 

The OAth redirerct URL enables a client application to obtain authorized access to protected resources. The auth code requires a user-agent that supports redirection from the authorization server back to your application. So in our case we created a seperate account to link to microsoft authenticator. 

Azure subscriptions have a trust relationship with Microsoft Entra ID. Microsoft Entra ID is trusted to authenticate the subscription's users, services, and devices. Each subscription has a client ID, Secret ID and tenant ID associated. THeas eare all found within the Azure App registration menus. You may not have access to these and might need a sysadmin to get them for you. 

1. Your Microsoft Client ID
  2. A Tenant ID
  3. Client Secret

Once you have all of them go into Docebo Admin/Microsoft Teams/Manage

Add an account and fill in the blanks

Choose the type of Teams meetings to be created. We use meetings because we want interactivity between learner and instructor.  and confirm. 

Then when you create an event in an ILT you will see the tool and account in the dropdowns

WHen you save the event, the Teams meeting is created in your outlook shared calendar. 

You could just as easily do this to individual accounts as well if you wanted to. We talked about creating multiples but realized that the same team that create meetings in Docebo all have access to that calendar and decided this was simpler than a meeting account for each instructor.

Hope this helps