Two Criteria for Finishing a Session

• 9 February 2024
  • 9 replies

Hello, Fellow Docebeans,

First time post with a question for the community.  We have been using Docebo to power our learning platform for a few months now and are happily growing into our new system.  We predominantly run multiple sessions of the same course and a single learner will only take each course once.  Upon completion of the session, the learner receives a certificate of completion.

What is the best way to set two criteria for completing the session?  We would like to ensure that all learners are attending each event, as well as completing all training materials.

Thank you all in advance for your advice,

Kevin

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Kevin.Orosz Hi, Kevin

What kind of criteria are you thinking of using? Just attendance, or attendance + an e-learning course?

Thank you for your reply.

We currently have session completion set to Attendance Base but would also like to ensure that learners complete all training materials before the course is completed.  This is for instructor-led, live courses.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Kevin.OroszSounds like you have multiple training materials inside your course shell? If yes, I’d edit each of those to define pre-reqs and end object.

Then, if the course is also assigned to the ILT session, I think you might get what you’re after. The session would be completed based on the attendance, but the course would be completed based on the training materials. I might be expecting too much sophistication in the platform with this suggestion, but I’d try it (in a testing situation, obviously).

Would love to hear if this works.

@KMallette I work with Kevin and deal with the same challenge.  I don’t quite understand your recommendation, but first let me clarify our problem:  many learners are skipping Syllabus items (training materials), especially our post-course survey, and still get access to the download of their completion certificate.  We want to hold their completion certificate until they complete all Syllabus items, especially the post-course survey, AND we mark them Present in attendance.

Currently we have Session Completion set to Attendance Based, which means when we mark them Present for all the events (days in the course), they immediately get access to the download of their completion certificate.  I know we could change this to Manual, and force them to wait until we confirm they have completed all the Syllabus items, but that is more labor intensive, time-consuming, and not automated they way we would like it.

Possible solution:  Change the Session Completion setting to Evaluation Based, and put a trivial 1-question quiz as the last Syllabus item that they must complete and score 100% on to mark the session complete. 

If that’s not something you’d recommend, please clarify the “define pre-reqs and end object” for us.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@mharmody Expounding on “define pre-reqs and end object” … here are some screen shots from a couple of my courses. You can use the KB to get more details.

Setting End Object - Course Management > Training Materials > Hamburger menu > Settings

Training Materials Pre-reqs … If you are setting pre-reqs for training materials you do it thru Course Managment; if you are doing it for courses, you can only do it thru a learning plan.

@KMallette Thank you for the clarification.  I don’t think the End Object will work for our setup because we set up a course, then we make sessions for each time we run the course.  So one course can be offered 4 times (sessions) during the year.  If the End Object worked for sessions, that would be possible a solution.

I like the pre-requisite idea for the training materials.  We simply set the Navigation Policy to Sequential navigation so the learners must complete (and pass) the training materials in sequential order.  See below.  That still doesn’t prevent, however, someone from not finishing all the training materials, yet still getting access to downloading a certificate after we mark their attendance as Present.  Maybe I’m missing something.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@mharmody Have you tested End object for sessions? TBH, I don’t know one way or the other.

Userlevel 4
Badge

I found a similar Community Post about this same issue with a proposed solution using an E-learning and ILT within a Learning Plan.

It seems like what you’re trying to do is unfortunately nearly impossible to set up reliably within one course shell at the current time.  No matter how it’s set up, one piece would ultimately conflict with another.

@KMallette No, but I will test end object for sessions.

@trose23 this was helpful background info on the same issue.  Thank you for sending it.  I didn’t have any luck when I searched for solutions a few months ago.  It does complicate the experience by now having to complete multiple “courses” in a Learning Plan just to participate in one of our courses.  We have a talented web wizard who may be able to create the API solution that was described in the post.  So thanks again for providing the thread.