Video Completion Dilemma

• 3 August 2023
  • 5 replies

Hey everyone, I have a dilemma...

• I want users to have an accessible experience (freely move forward and backward on the timeline).
  • However, I don’t want users moving the timeline right the end, marking the video as complete without watching.

Is there a way of Docebo knowing that the user has actually watched the video (or even watched the majority, let’s say 80%) before marking it as complete?

Many thanks,

Jack

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@jackgayler - good morning. This is a really interesting question. Enough to make me stop and comment.

The short answer is that I believe you are at the limit of what you can achieve with the player (thats without my further testing).

So I believe you can disable the srubber/video control bar being visible, but you are saying you actually want the control bar to hang around to support accessibility. Too funny I took a course from Skillsoft the other day? Enabled accessibility? And I found that I could actually burn the course out faster with it on.

My findings - those two drivers (accessibility vs listening for a completion criteria based on the amount of video consumed) are typically contrary to each other with a basic “video player” like what was implemented in Docebo.

I know that the team is always listening for intriguing improvements and one of them could be to pair the player with a minimum time frame for the course. That makes the scrubber more viable and at the very least gives you a second overlapping completion criteria other than just a mark on the timeline of the video as where to trigger a completion.

BUT there is a deeper challenge - nothing keeps a person (truly) at the video. Unless you watch the SAW movie series, but I digress - it wont happen. Because your weakest link can be the lack of interactivity. And that is something that I can comment about further.

With the advent of HTML 5 being ubiquitous (after being tortured in the 2010s and living through the last years of flash) video playback tools have gotten fancier and fancier. You can actually build interactive video (played through an interactive player) when you author with a SCORM tool. With question overlays and jumps to appropriate sections of video in a timeline. If you can stomach authoring outside of Docebo this all opens up to you.

Camtasia has made strides here with their player - if you have a budget? You can build interactive video in no time.

There are other authoring tools/players that are literally free that have a SCORM output tool (I am thinking along the lines of H5P) that can seriously step up your game.

And for folks that dive into other SCORM authoring tools? You can do some really interesting things with video in storyline/captivate (once you have locked the video player experience).

Even Articulate Rise has made strides with critical pathing video needing to be watched before going on to a next step.

I hope the ramblings help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@jackgayler This is pretty much a SCORM-thing.  In other words, you have to make the seek bar part of your publishing parameters in your content creation tool. I’m familiar with Articulate Storyline, and there I have the choices of

• Full freedom
  • Full not-freedom
  • Full freedom AFTER the video has been watched once.

I really like this last choice because it’s really what is the best option for learning.

Userlevel 2

I agree with @dklinger on the fact that there’s not much you can do.That’s a big issue that I’m experiencing as well. We have required trainings where users are allowed to move forward and go backward. The only way you can tell if they’ve truly watched the video is having quizzes at the end to test their knowledge or you can look at the amount of time they spent watching the video. I hope this helps! 

@dklinger @KMallette I’ve just had a look at this post which is very handy and could be used in the future: A nice little thing happened...with Review 360 | Community (docebo.com)

For the number of videos being uploaded to our system by a number of admins, the scorm route would be very impractical. However, it could be used for special occasions. So thanks for suggesting 😊

I agree with @dklinger on the fact that there’s not much you can do.That’s a big issue that I’m experiencing as well. We have required trainings where users are allowed to move forward and go backward. The only way you can tell if they’ve truly watched the video is having quizzes at the end to test their knowledge or you can look at the amount of time they spent watching the video. I hope this helps! 

Quizzes are always a great idea, especially if someone already knows the content well and doesn’t need to re-watch the entire video. Thanks for suggesting!