Visible course validity

• 10 May 2023
  • 5 replies

Hello everyone,

I am trying to figure out ways to make the course validity more visible, so that users are aware and can see it clearly, that they have xx days to complete the course after first access date or enrollment date.

The issue is the validity days can only be seen in the Task List widget, as long as it is not more than 90 days, upon hover. This is not visible in the widget pages/catalogs until it is overdue. We have a page that shows all courses for the learners, and it best to show the validity days clearly, even better if the courses can be sorted by remaining validity days.

We are not using the Validity Period (by dates) feature because our courses have global learners with different enrollment period. I’m aware that dates can appear on the All Courses page, but it is not ideal for us in this case. We don’t want to duplicate courses just for this purpose (getting users aware of course due period).

I might miss some features in the platform (if there’s any) that I’m not aware of, hence opening this for discussion.

Any ideas?

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

We added ‘My Calendar’ widget in Learner Homepage and set the ‘Display View’ to ‘Agenda’. If there are activities due on the current month, it will appear on the widget, if there’s none, it will show that agenda is empty.

Learners can also change the view to monthly/weekly.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@jlreonal - this is awesome and helps to point out things they need to do and how long they have to do it - it is like a backup to the Tasks widget - which is pretty cool. Once something falls out of its validity though, I believe it drops from Deadlines as well as this approach? Or am I wrong?

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

@jlreonal- this is awesome and helps to point out things they need to do and how long they have to do it - it is like a backup to the Tasks widget - which is pretty cool. Once something falls out of its validity though, I believe it drops from Deadlines as well as this approach? Or am I wrong?

Yes, that is correct since the view is on per month. So, we try to avoid having a due date on the first/second day of the month.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

That’s super cool @jlreonal!  

We have used the task widget, and have it display only the Upcoming Deadlines, so that courses with a validity show up there:

The only downside is once the validity period has passed the courses disappear from the widget, so we have reminder notifications go out as emails to those who still didn’t complete.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Annarose.Peterson - that is a cool way to balance the UI differences - with letting people know where other things are - you are helping me rethink out our “Things To Do” approach. Thank you!