Question

When does a Scorm package save for a user. (On Desktop and Mobile)

• 22 November 2021
  • 2 replies

We use scorm packages extensively to meet the certification guidelines we need to follow. However we have found some concerning discrepancies between users abilities to transition from desktop to mobile (we are just using the mobile browser not the App) and retain their progress. There’s nothing more disheartening than a user watching a 2 hour course on their phone only to get to their PC and see it didn’t save and they can’t take their review questions. 

We have found mixed results in testing and while progress certainly can be maintained the process of it is elusive. 

Is there any concrete knowledge on when scorm packages update Docebo with their information so it’s retained? Does it happen when transitioning between segments of a scorm, is it when the scorm package is closed? At what point does Docebo (or the package itself) retain that information where it can be re-accessed? And is it the same for desktop and mobile? This will help determine how we structure future scorms as well as how we handle support questions.

2 replies

https://help.docebo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020128479-Uploading-and-Managing-SCORM-as-Training-Material this link was provided by my CSM regarding how this works. This is incredibly valuable information for anyone utilizing scorm.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@The21Dealer - good morning. I know it has been a few months since you asked this question.

A question - Have you thought about leveraging xAPI if many of your folk are on the mobile platform? Is it an option for you?

I ask because SCORM itself as a protocol needs to be in pretty consistent communication with the LMS to be successful. The most common issue we run into is a person working on their phone - pausing and attempting to come back on their phone hours later. In certain cases they continue with the course but it is already out of session with the LMS….so we land up coaching up folk and teams about this.

xAPI works differently though in terms of its communication approach and should give you more consistency in this space.

I am advising towards the discussion but will admit - I know the theory pretty well because of going to ALOT of conferences that talk people through this - but SCORM is still heavily used in my shop….