Question

xAPI/Tin Can - can't see/report on answers from "Survey" questions

• 14 July 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hello everybody!

My company is just getting started with Docebo and we’re just in the beginning/course planning stage right now.

We’re hoping to build courses that use lots of “Survey” (or extended-text) questions. Questions like, “tell us a time where xyz happened”. These would be “challenges” for our staff to complete and their supervisor would review their answers on a monthly basis.

I’m running into a few issues with this. Mainly, I’m unable to view survey answers when using an xAPI export of my course. I’ve tried with two different authoring tools with the same result (Elucidat and Storyline). I can only view their answers in Docebo if I export as SCORM instead. And, these answers can become jumbled around and hard to read if the user retakes the course. I’d eventually like to download a file that has everyone’s answers in it. 

Another issue, is that Survey answers are always marked as incorrect. Ideally, if a user has provided any sort of answer, then it should be “correct”? 

Has anyone else run into this? I’m new to eLearning development so any feedback is appreciated! 

7 replies

Hi, 

We often find that the data structure of surveys using xAPI and SCORM when generated with common authoring tools differ and for this reason a common challenge is getting that data into an easily readable and reportable format. 

One of the primary goals for creating the Docebo survey module is to allow for an option that has a consistent data structure making reporting off of those surveys easy. Depending on the authoring tool, we may often recommend to create the survey as a separate learning object, and with the Docebo feature. In this way you can use the Course Reporting tab and the survey reports themselves to gather insight on the learner’s feedback. 

Steps to use the Docebo Survey feature can be found at : Creating and Managing A Course Survey 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Thanks for your reply. It would be challenging getting the data in a standardized format. 

I like the idea of surveys, but at the moment, I’m interested in seeing a user’s answer to an extended-text test question.

It would be so great if we could run a report to export all unique extended-text answers from a course. I don’t think Docebo records this type of data from xAPI projects?

Userlevel 2

Hello!  I am also experiencing the same issue when using Storyline Short Answer and Essay Question interactions.  I can only see the results buried in the cmi.suspend.data, as shown below:

@harrison.stolz, is this similar to your experience and did you find a workaround? 

Userlevel 3
Badge

I haven’t been able to find a good solution myself.

We love the idea of having free-text answers in our courses, but we can’t find a good way to review those answers. We’ve switched over to true/false type answers in our courses for now.

I posted an Idea here -

Userlevel 2

Thanks @Sarahh - I’ve added Javascript at certain points in my Storyline course to pass free text answers to a Google Sheet for now.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Interesting workaround!

I did stumble upon this the other day that may be helpful -

Userlevel 2

Thanks @Sarahh, will check that out too as Storyline can now also send xAPI statements.  It would be helpful if I could keep all of this information under one roof - in Docebo.