Central Repository - Good and not so good

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

I was very excited to use the Central Repository to easily re-use content in different courses, especially surveys. I was disappointed to see that when content is moved to the Central Repository and subsequently used in other courses; if the same user accesses this content after having completed it once before in another course (for example a standard survey or test), that piece of content is automatically marked as already completed. I have posted an idea on this topic but thought it would be important to post this for our new users. Hopefully we’ll see some improvements here once Docebo launches the concept of multiple completions for a single course (fingers crossed)

Central Repository - stop tracking completions for re-used learning objects LMS-I-4423 (should be visible in a couple days). Please vote if you agree. Thank you.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Thanks for sharing @lrnlab. I think it would be nice if we had an option to choose. For some training materials it just makes sense that when users complete them, they stay completed but what you’re describing is especially painful with surveys.

When you add gamification to it, it’s even worse. Currently, you can give users a badge for completing a training material. We wanted to do that for surveys; however, the issue is, that we would either need to create a new badge for every survey (as a training material) or reset the survey progress every time. In this case I 100% agree that some training materials should be “completable” more than once and using central repository for that would solve all the issues.

The only potential problem I see is reporting but I’m sure it can be easily solved by having multiple lines of data per user.

Userlevel 4
Badge

I’ll definitely vote for this @lrnlab when it’s available. I agree with @abartunek that having a choice for how to handle each item would be ideal too. 

Userlevel 4

Yes this was also brought up in the old ideas portal. 

We should either be given the choice to accept completion records on the actual material or the completion records should be moved up to the course shells and not tied to the training material.

Userlevel 3

I can see how that would be frustrating. In our platform we only connect the content (scorms) to one course so we don’t run into this issue. I agree having the flexibility would be great though for multiple use cases.

Userlevel 3

Not sure if you have already looked into, and tried this option with surveys in the central repo, but thought I would share. For surveys it appears that you have the option to track locally. This option requires learners to play the training material in each course in which it has been pushed. I haven’t tested this feature myself because we do not use the surveys in the platform. We embed an external survey in our scorm content instead.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Same!  For the majority of our content, it is appropriate to have shared content, but there are times it would be super helpful to have local tracking on some of our content.  If we can have that option for Local tracking or Shared tracking for all objects pushed to the Central repository, we would be golden!

Userlevel 4
Badge

i am looking at remediation courses tied to skills. We are developing some external (VR) assessment which will identify where an inspector needs remediation.  But if we use the same material in the courses they have already taken the remediation courses will be marked complete as soon as it is assigned!  That means we will have to have multiple copies of key items uploaded into SNU, causing redundancy.  I hate redundancy because it leads to outdated material.  How do you ensure when a change is made that the material is uploaded to every instance when you have redundant material?  Is there a trick I’m missing?

Totally agree. I have to redo a few of the courses I made. How do I vote for this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Doesn't look like it was ever posted from the old IDEAS site 😟

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Doesn't look like it was ever posted from the old IDEAS site 😟

😔 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

perhaps with the expected enhancement to enrolment archiving, this will be resolved??