Question

Comslider Successes

Userlevel 4
Badge

Greetings to all those who are using Comslider. I am interested in your feedback (both good and bad) on this application. Seems, from what people have to say it is an easy enhancement to the platform? Thanks, Tim

10 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

It looks like Comslider will ordinarily have to work in an IFRAME, which would be used as HTML training material. There was a lot of discussion of this product last year, a lot of that which came from long-time contributer @dklinger :  

My own take is that it works fine for presentations, but there are no capabilities for scorable quizzing or other things you might want from an Articulate, Adobe, or iSpring type of tool.  If you need to convert PowerPoint materials or need SCORM tracking, Comslider is probably not the tool you want, at least not by itself.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@tmurphy - its good! It gives you a very fancy call to action.

@elamast is right - I chatted alot about it as I was looking to get a decent call to action up and going.

The good

• it is a low code to no code solution
  • supports a beautiful modern looking caroseul with awesome transitions
  • you can link to courses and to other pages with it
  • depending on your traffic - it is a solution that will cost your org less than 40$ for a year.
  • for an individual that cant take the the time and invest into a CSS caroseul it will make you look like a rockstar

The bad

• the UI is “meh” and it feels clunky at times. I found myself wrestling with it.
  • be careful - because it is effectively a live solution? You can overwrite and mess up what is currently working for you. (Best to work with copies)
  • There was a weird bug that was happening with it last year - I reported it - and I got little to no response back.
  • When you use the html widget to iframe to put it on page, you will find an issue with trying to get it to scale well or you may have a little bit of white space from the widget. Lets say that IFRAME is finicky already...You may have better luck than I did, but you will definitely want to tweak the minimum height to get the desired result.
  • It is not mobile supported (definitely not in the mobile app)

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I think most use comslider not for course content as much as advertising banners around the platform which works well and the same as any type of slider widget to iframe in. 
have done similar but manual so that could build a SharePoint based content management system so that updates could be scheduled and done centrally. 
from what I’ve seen or heard comslider is a fine way to go about these types of things, but there are a zillion similar solves, so the core concept is what you’re looking for. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

And @Bfarkas and I were writing at the same time….

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

And @Bfarkas and I were writing at the same time….

This is one of my few complaints with the community over something like slack or discord servers :)

Userlevel 3

I created our own custom rotating banner (bootstrap foundation) that is stored on our webserver and we iFrame it on a page. Each image is hyperlinked to the appropriate area on the LMS

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I recently posted a solution for a slider using only HTML and CSS. No JavaScript and No iFrames.

No cost. When all else fails and ComSlider is not an option…

Does the $40 version have a watermark? This one doesn’t. A plus for Branding minded corps.

Perhaps requires slightly more comfort with code to swap out your images and such.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Agreed, that in most cases it is fairly easy to set this up yourself rather than adding another third party option. For us the content management was the big win, having one embed code but based on the page url it is on having different slides load, so different user profiles get appropriate messages for them. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I recently posted a solution for a slider using only HTML and CSS. No JavaScript and No iFrames.

No cost. When all else fails and ComSlider is not an option…

Does the $40 version have a watermark? This one doesn’t. A plus for Branding minded corps.

Perhaps requires slightly more comfort with code to swap out your images and such.

No watermark @gstager 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@tmurphy - its good! It gives you a very fancy call to action.

@elamast is right - I chatted alot about it as I was looking to get a decent call to action up and going.

The good

• it is a low code to no code solution
  • supports a beautiful modern looking caroseul with awesome transitions
  • you can link to courses and to other pages with it
  • depending on your traffic - it is a solution that will cost your org less than 40$ for a year.
  • for an individual that cant take the the time and invest into a CSS caroseul it will make you look like a rockstar

The bad

• the UI is “meh” and it feels clunky at times. I found myself wrestling with it.
  • be careful - because it is effectively a live solution? You can overwrite and mess up what is currently working for you. (Best to work with copies)
  • There was a weird bug that was happening with it last year - I reported it - and I got little to no response back.
  • When you use the html widget to iframe to put it on page, you will find an issue with trying to get it to scale well or you may have a little bit of white space from the widget. Lets say that IFRAME is finicky already...You may have better luck than I did, but you will definitely want to tweak the minimum height to get the desired result.
  • It is not mobile supported (definitely not in the mobile app)

An update on the bad. We figured out the weird bug - it turns out to be a container kind of an issue.

We love comslider because of the options it gives you….yay comslider.