Question

Creating a group that excludes a location

Badge

Howdy!

Ahead of assigning out some harassment prevention content (fun!), I am creating some groups to help with my assignments.

Our non-US based employees will be getting their own version, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to make a group that would reflect these users.

When I am looking at my eligibility requirements for a group, my brain is just thinking: “All employees NOT in the United States.”  However when looking at conditions….

• The “Country” field is a drop-down with no operators like “is equal to”, “contains”, etc).  I can only select 10 countries at a time.
  • We have a field for “Location,” but those operators are limited to “contains,” “is equal to,” and “is not equal to.”  It does not have “does not contain.”

Has anyone done something similar in the past?  how did you set it up?

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @BradEnglish yup, sadly these options are missing and make creating certain types of groups very challenging.

I looked for post/idea on this topic but haven't been able to locate...pretty sure we had something on this issue.

This is one I posted that could be leveraged for Groups…

as you know, the search options for users are pretty robust but do not appear in the same way for Groups.

Userlevel 2

I think this idea is pretty close to what you’re looking for also:

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@BradEnglish- a thought/proposal - if you can pipe your international folk to a branch (like per country to a branch)? You can then use a branch level condition to get them to said course.

If you are looking to have a person select a language before they login? Then there language can be used as a user field based grouping condition as well.

Here is the real use case. We put out learning to three countries at the same time….and got them to take a course in Spanish. This was straight forward enough because we knew the target and deployed it to them by prepopulating their accounts into 3 different branches (representing 3 different countries). By leveraging that detail tuned up to branches? We were able to deploy menus and pages tuned up to them. We were then able to do metrics because of using a branch related condition to generate the group.

In the end - we didnt need to use the user field based grouping condition, but we did make the three subsidiaries very happy (heck we saw over 90% compliance).

And so maybe a portion of going in the right direction involves putting these folks into an international branch???? And then express to them to select a language as part of their onboarding instructions?????

Userlevel 4

Hi @BradEnglish,

We have additional fields created for office location, state/province, and country of residence. All of our additional fields are text fields. We don’t use dropdowns.

If you’re using text-only fields, you should be able to apply the “is not equal to” condition and have it work. You may need to create an “At least one of...” condition set for all your excluded locations.

Hope this helps.