Question

Direct Enrollment Links

• 28 January 2022
  • 16 replies

Hi, We want to understand the best practices for using the course/learning plan direct link. 

1. Docebo help article states that "If you've enabled the SAML SSO app in your platform, automatic redirect to the identity provider is required in order for an enrollment link to work successfully for courses or learning plans. Otherwise, the user will receive an error message when trying to use the enrollment link. " We tested and found that the direct enrollment link still works if auto redirect to identity provider is not enabled. Can you please confirm if direct links will work or not, please confirm for both 'SSO' & 'Non-SSO' scenarios when the user is not logged in and if they clicks on that link.
  1. Do you prefer to use direct enrollment link or the course direct link?

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

HI @Manas Pasricha the course enrollment link works a little differently than providing a direct link to the course. It essentially bypasses any course restrictions and allows anyone with the link to be enrolled in the course automatically. We use the enrollment link when there is no or little need to control enrolments and as an added convenience. For courses that require approvals, or for courses that monitored more closely, we do not use this.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

@lrnlab I have a course that we only want available via invitation. We are using an enrollment link, but it doesn’t work. Is this because the course is not in any catalogs for visibility. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@dianex.gomez what’s not working exactly? In my experience, you dont need to place the course in a catalogue visible to the user for this work.

Another idea you could try are the Subscription Codes. It’s a little more work to set-up and use but that also works great. 

https://help.docebo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020128119-Activating-and-Managing-the-Subscription-Codes-App

Essentially you create unique codes aligned to a specific course(s). The you can distribute these unique codes to your users. Once the user has a code, they can enter it on the subscription code widget and get instant access. We use this for programs where we need to know who’s enrolled or accessed the course(s)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Glad to see this thread has some recent action as we’re also looking at enrollment links, and the documentation doesn’t match what we are seeing. 

The documentation (and @lrnlab) states a user clicking on the link are automatically enrolled in the course. However, that’s not the experience we’re seeing when we turn on these enrollment links and share the link. Can you think of anything that would cause this experience to be had?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@steveninfinger what issue are you seeing? We use them regularly and have no issues...

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Sigh - purely an opinion. I feel like we are here way too much. We should get a single article on links with key objectives of: 

• all methods that we can get a person/customer to a course with a link
  • what links can be done as related to other learning objects
  • express methods that are indirect (links to pages)
  • express what links are supported by which function (link to a page, link in a notification, link via product)

To help remove any ambiguity. @ryan.woods @elliott.vickrey @erin.brisson - can you point us at anything to help more with this??

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

When using an enrollment link for a course that the user does not have visibility to, they get a forbidden error message. Interesting that the link bypasses ecommerce but not catalog visibility. 
I thought about using an approved enrollment but that is just admin heavy. The course happens to be and ILT and we want the user to enroll via the link and pick a session, without admin intervention. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@dianex.gomez what are your enrolment settings? are they set to allow self-enrolment? our users have no visibility to the courses and we have a “launch course” button on the homepage that when clicked, automatically enrols them into the course.

I also recall that a few months ago, the links stopped working and we had to log a ticket to get this fixed. Ours seemed to be an issue with SSO and the solution was to add a “redirect on logout” url to get them working again.

There is also another setting you might want to check under the Advanced Settings > Advanced options

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@dklinger, love that idea, because I have my team working on something like it now, and it’d be great if it already existed or was provided.

@lrnlab If I as a Super Admin pull the enrollment link for a learning plan (that has a cost) and give it to a user, they are not automatically enrolled in the learning plan. Same with a course. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@steveninfinger have you checked the settings I posted above?

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

@lrnlab It is enabled

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

I’m pretty sure my problem is course settings. 
It was this:

I changed it to this: (I think catalog visibility is important even though it is not in a catalog.)

Thanks to you all for jumping in to help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@lrnlab ours is unchecked, but always don’t limit what catalogs are visible. We allow all users to view all catalogs.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@steveninfinger so your settings should allow user to user the links since the courses are visible to them anyway...

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@lrnlab that’s what I’d think as well. I’m leaning to there’s a bug in our instance. I’ve put in a ticket to have them look. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

agree