Duplicating ILT Course Shells - Shhhhh keep it a secret

• 9 September 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 4

So I have seen many mention that they could not duplicate ILT courses but could duplicate e-learning courses. And I have experienced the same thing. 

However, if you use the API Explorer you can actually duplicate any type of course...including ILT. It does not duplicate sessions or anything like that, but just the shell. So through the API we can duplicate any type of course and you can actually select if you want the training material duplicated as well. 

It is not the cleanest solution, but until Docebo let’s us do it through the UI it can save a lot of time.

Keep it a secret though...if Docebo hears about it they may retire that API end point and screw us all ;)

5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Do you have steps that show how to connect and do this?

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

@lisa.schneer - the endpoint referenced would be this one:

It is probably a validation check “issue” for the params that are sent, however, it surely works just fine today from the /api-browser page (and likely in script too). :)

Use with caution as the workaround is an unsupported one (albeit working) and is subject to become unusable with future updates to the Course API. 

Userlevel 2

The API is titled “Duplicate e-learning course”.

POST/course/v1/courses/{id}/duplicate

I just tested it and it did work on an ILT course, even pulls over any associated training material.

You’ll get the course ID from the URL of the course page.  In the example below the course ID is 138

Userlevel 5
Badge

LOVE THIS!!!!!!! remember to make enrollment false unless you want to enroll your students. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

LOVE THIS!!!!!!! remember to make enrollment false unless you want to enroll your students. 

Good to see this creative solution is still helping move some small mountains out there! Shh, let’s not make too much noise. 😉

(Seriously, glad it’s working for you!)​​​​​​​