Question

Entering multiple events in one annual session

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

I’m interested in recommendations about the following workaround. I’m especially interested if anyone uses the following workaround to reduce the number of sessions for a course.

We run several dozen events for a few high-volume ILT courses during each calendar year. Each course requires attendance at only one event.

If we enter each course event in its own session, there’s a 1:1 session:event relationship but the session list becomes really long. That was the standard in our old LMS, but one of my team asked if we could break the wheel and consider the following:

Each location could have one session of a course for the entire year, such as Worcester 2023 First Aid. Within that Worcester First Aid 2023 session, we’d list all the events for for that course and location in 2023.

For example, classes on January 6, 20, February 3, 17, etc. each have their own event within that Worcester First Aid 2023 session.

It’s an attractive idea, as we could easily build the schedule in Excel and upload all the events for a single course within a CSV file. While we can do that with a 1:1 relationship, it requires more coding and checking. 

I have a few concerns about this workaround, including reporting, data structure, and overall usability for the L&D team and for users.

Each course is renewed annually. I’m hoping Docebo will develop an enhancement to allow annual retakes (see https://community.docebo.com/ideas/multiple-completions-for-one-course-1165) and I know there’s a few workarounds involving dedicated courses for each calendar year.

Mahalo!

billso!

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Question, how far apart are the series of events in terms of time?

Seems doable, and I imagine you will do the users must attend 1 event option to get credit for the session and course?

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

@Bfarkas events are weekly. Completion of one annual event will complete the course. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

But what is the time from the first to the last? Is it January-December or January-March something else?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

The only thing I am thinking is making sure you have the new events report before doing it, otherwise could get interesting reporting, but you would still have the session level completions and things.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

@Bfarkas we are looking at listing all events for the calendar year (Jan-Dec) within a single session. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

So I had never done longer than a month and was curious if there was a limit. I just made a session with an event tomorrow and one December 1 2023 and it let me, seems like it should work fine. I wonder if there is a limit on events per session? Might be worth a support request to ask. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Agreed, @Bfarkas! I don’t want to break the axle, just the wheel…

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

@billso @Bfarkas - the path sounds ideal to me too!
Sticking to listing the year’s Events, within a single session of a course, will allow the learner to pick just one Session (the only one) and then find the Event that they are able to attend in the calendar year. One Event passed = 1 Session completed and also the Course completes.

In other words, selecting the below config for attendance should do the trick and a learner will only need to choose one session and 1 Event:

One challenge will be how long the Events list will be that’s presented. It should be manageable with only 12 total Events in the Session.

For the learner display, I only have a sample from Jan to April and it would look roughly like the following, on Session and Event selection:

Lastly, for Reporting, it too should be ideal for this situation.
At the course level, you will see the general Reporting user statistics for each learner:

From the Session Stats has a more detailed view:

In the Custom Reports area there is even more info. I focused in on Events and Enrollment areas, but Session details are nice to have as well. This is all under a Users - ILT Course Type Custom Report:

Hope it helps!
(I am checking on the Event limit.)

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Thanks @John I agree it sounds like a great setup, as long as it can handle 50-60 events. Most I’ve done is 15 before

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

I checked around some internal reporting from within our core Learn team and some interesting figures to share. The maximum total for Events grouped by Session is ~8,000. I think it was a programatic test… otherwise, the next highest number is around ~800 Events inside a single Session.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I just did a quick script to make one to 75 and ran into no issues as well, think you are all set @billso