Fail and Waitlist (Pending Payment) CSS

• 13 April 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

I had a recent request to do two things:

1. Make the Waitlisted tag in the User Personal Summary more explanatory and obvious
  2. Create a Fail status that shows up in red in the User Personal Summary

While we could debate the effects of using a big red  FAILED  on what is essentially a transcript, I thought I’d share how to accomplish it.  Once you know how to do this you can adjust terminology and colors to match your business needs.

First we’ll start with labels and changing them to be more informative. 

FAILED COURSE STATUS

For this we’re going to repurpose the “suspended” status used in the LMS.  Obviously this won’t work for you if you’re using the suspended status for something else.

1. Go to the Localization tool.
  2. “Translate” the following to the new values on the right:
standard _SUSPENDED

Failed

standard _USER_STATUS_SUSPEND

Failed

What this will do is let you choose the Failed status for sessions and courses manually.  It will be displayed in the drop-down status list, and will show up in the User Personal Summary.

WAITLISTING

For the waiting status, our folks are in a waiting status only if they’re paying by PO (Wire Transfer) or their credit cards didn’t go through.  If you’re using normal waitlisting, you probably don’t want to do this.

standard _WAITING_USERS

Waiting Users/Pending Payment

STYLING LABELS

Then let’s change some styling.  It just so happens that both the waitlisted and (former) suspended statuses are displayed with both the “courses-grid-wrapper” and “user-status” classes, so one line does it in your custom styles CSS:

[class="courses-grid-wrapper"] [class="user-status"] {
background-color: red !important;
}

(If you’re not familiar with the square brackets, they are attribute selectors.  Here we’re matching anything that has both of the classes applied to it.)

Let me know how this works for you!

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

HI @elamast interesting take...I guess it depends on the organization and whether you want to track a failed status. Do your changes also translate to the reports? Does it show the same status?

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Do your changes also translate to the reports? Does it show the same status?

Interesting that you should ask.  Under session statistics (AKA the course summary report) it showed passed until I changed this through Localization:

standard passed

n/a

It’s odd because every other student (who passed) showed “Completed” and not “Passed”.  I went with “n/a” here because I want to be sure there’s no other effect of changing this.  More testing needed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

I’ll look forward to your updates. Thanks.

Badge

But the “failed” status would require a SuperAdmin or PowerUser to change that status themselves. If a learner fails a test twice in most instances and for a few courses the test only has one opportunity, they cannot go on to the next activity which has the end object marker on it.  

Would be interesting to see if we can get an automated status change - because the learner just sees that their course is In Progress even if they cannot complete it. Very confusing to the learner.