Best Answer

Limit certain courses for a Power User

• 18 December 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 4

Is there a way to give a Power User editing rights for one course catalog but not another? We have a HR Power User that would like to run reports of all the courses that a staff member has taken.

We have our product trainings in a separate course category than their HR courses. Only the product training Power User should be able to edit the product trainings. 

We put the HR courses in the HR Power User’s permissions under resource type but if we add the product trainings there, they can also edit those courses but if do not add this to the resources, they can’t run a report with those courses.

We just want to add the product trainings as a resource so that they can run reports to include those courses but do not want them to have editing rights. I can’t seem to do this with their Power User profile.

icon

Best answer by sjennings78 18 December 2023, 15:30

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

We had a very similar issues… we assign “all visible courses and learning plans” to most of our Power Users so they can view and enroll users into those courses but there is a small group that we allow to create and edit courses, but only for a very small subset of courses.   To give them all the access they needed to do that part without it opening up permissions we didn’t want them to have, we wound up creating a separate login account for those users to use when they need to perform the course management functions - that login only has that access and their “main” login does all the other stuff we want them to do except for course management. 

I’d love to hear if anyone has found a better solution for this!  What I really want to be able to do is have two Power User profiles assigned to a user and be able to assign different resources to them for each profile.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

sadly there is no way other than creating duplicate profiles for your PU with each containing the permissions you want them to have...unfortunately you cannot combine PU roles onto a single profile and it applies all permission to all resources regardless of the different profiles you assign.

There are several ideas out there you can vote on...

Userlevel 4

@lrnlab @sjennings78 thank you for the quick reply and confirmation. I was thinking we needed another PU login for these users to access the reports for the product trainings but thought I would check. I will look for the ideas and vote :)