Question

Options for accessing advanced level courses

• 24 June 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

What are some ways that others create gateways to advanced level courses?

We’re going through implementation and in our current system we have basic level ILTs and advanced level ILTs. In order to access any advanced level ILT you have to pass an online test. The test is added to each advanced course and is the prerequisite that allows enrollment into the course. 

The main goal is to have something that serves as a gateway to advanced level courses so users that don’t have the basic knowledge can’t access advanced courses and 1) be lost the entire time, 2) take time from the class asking questions they should already know, etc. 

• We are EXE so we sell our courses and they have to be in a catalog.
  • We’d prefer to not build learning plans for each course

What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance!

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @steveninfinger you could create a Group that includes users who have passed your knowledge test and then use the Enrolment Rules to assign course X (or LP X) to that Group...by extension, you could also use that Group to grant access to an “advanced” level group of of courses in a catalogue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thanks, @lrnlab I had a similar thought about enrollment rules and groups, but wasn’t sure how the experience would be. I can  test this, but do you know if the advanced catalog would be hidden until until the user is dynamically added to the group or would they see it but not able to access the content? I’m assuming they just won’t see it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@steveninfinger Correct. The catalog should remain hidden until the user becomes part of the group that manages catalog access. They would still the other catalogs that are generally available if applicable