Power User visibility to User Additional Fields when Creating a Custom Report

• 7 July 2021
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I learned something today that might be helpful to others, so I thought I would share.

Problem:

A power user had reported that they were unable to see the User Additional Fields as options to include when they were creating a Custom Report.  My first thought was that there was a permission not selected for the power user, so I checked to make sure that the Power User profile had the following permissions:

• View Users
  • Can see fields invisible to the user

Even with those permissions, our Power User still was not able to see the User Additional Fields when trying to create a Custom Report.  

Possible Cause of the Issue:

Turns out, we had the Apply Additional fields visibility based on branch node setting selected on our platform:

This setting overrides any Power User permission setting you have, and our power user profiles were in a branch that did not have visibility to those additional fields! 

Solution: 

I was weary of playing with that Advanced setting, so I created a special branch for our Power Users and made sure to assign visibility of the additional fields to that branch. Sure enough, they were able to see the User Additional Fields when creating a report!

I hope this helps someone in the future, as I tend to forget some of the Advanced settings we have selected in our platform and how they may impact other areas.  Special thank you to Daniel on chat who helped me with this problem. :-D

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@Annarose.Peterson this is awesome, thank you so much for sharing! I too often find myself forgetting about the power of some of the Advanced Settings in the platform. I love the workaround you created to ensure that all of your Power Users are able to see all fields. If I understand correctly, you opted to keep the Apply Additional fields visibility based on branch node setting activated and took the approach to organize all PUs in a single branch, correct?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

This is super helpful!! Thank you! I also chatted with support on this problem and the only solution I could find was to make the user a Superadmin. 

Thank you for sharing!

Userlevel 1

Thanks for sharing, Annarose. You made my day!

BTW, we created a separate branch for each power user and I do not see any adverse effects (yet?) of using your advice in combination with our approach.

Userlevel 4

I just came on here to see if there were any posts about allowing a Power User to see additional fields that I had set to invisible for the reports. Thank you for this!

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@isaal I love that! I’m glad you were able to find the answer you were looking for 🙂 Thanks as always @Annarose.Peterson 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Annarose.Peterson this is awesome, thank you so much for sharing! I too often find myself forgetting about the power of some of the Advanced Settings in the platform. I love the workaround you created to ensure that all of your Power Users are able to see all fields. If I understand correctly, you opted to keep the Apply Additional fields visibility based on branch node setting activated and took the approach to organize all PUs in a single branch, correct?

I’m so sorry I missed this from like a year ago!  yes Adam, I kept that setting turned on and placed all PUs that needed to see the invisible fields into their own special branch, then provided visibility to those additional fields to that special PU branch. :-)

Userlevel 3
Badge

Thanks for this!

In case this helps - I didn’t necessarily follow all steps here, e.g. didn’t put Power Users in a separate branch.

I had a problem that Power users weren’t able to see Department, sub-department and location - which was configured under Users. I went to User Management - Additional fields and check-boxed what fields should be visible (see Invisible to the user column).

Then I went to reports and fixed that as well under Profiles.

Seems all good now. Power Users definitely can view full information in the reports. However, I still don’t let them see everything ;) 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

@Annarose.Peterson thanks for your tip. I had this problem, and reading your post, I was able to solve it.

You can make additional fields visible to select users based on their branch affiliation. 

Start customizing the fields for each branch. To do so, access the User Management area from your Admin Menu. On the All Users page, use the branches menu on the left side to select a branch. Hover your mouse over the branch's row, then press the ellipsis icon that appears.

From the dropdown menu, select the Set additional fields visibility item. In the slideout panel, flag which additional fields you want to assign to the branch, then press Confirm. Now, these new users additional fields are only available for the users assigned to this branch and any new users that you create in this branch. Repeat the operation for each branch of the organizational chart as desired.

When you set a user additional field as visible for a given branch, note that the sub-branches inherit the visibility of the additional field. Also, when you deselect an additional field that was previously selected for a given branch, its sub-branches will no longer have that field assigned as well.

https://help.docebo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020125379-Creating-and-Managing-User-Additional-Fields