PowerPoint with links

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hi, 

I’m looking for an easy way to share a PowerPoint or pdf with links. I don’t want the user to have to download the file, I can use Storyline 360 to create a clickable version and upload it as a scorm file but for longer documents that takes ages. I know the slide converter is being looked at to add links in it. But has anyone found a work around, for example using the html page in the training?

11 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

What if you have that link open in a new window? The Learner shouldn’t have to “download” the link. this works with a widget inside the Docebo platform but I’m not sure if you are viewing the PP or PDF and then click the link.

Cheers,

Tim

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi @Lucy.blake, welcome to the community and congrats on your first post!

This is a great question and a common use case. The most popular solution for sharing slides that allow for clickable links is Google Slides. Docebo supports Google Slides as either Training Material or Assets.

This article walks you through how to add Google Slides regardless of which route you’d like to take.

The added benefit of using Google Slides is that any updates you make to the original file in Google Drive will be reflected in Docebo. This makes it easy to manage multiple versions of your content, ensuring that learners have access to the latest and greatest.

You’ll want to use a share link when sharing a Google Slide file as an Asset, and use the Embed or Google Picker options when sharing a Google Slide file as Training Material.

Note: sharing a Google Slide file as an Asset via a share link will allow your learners to download the file. The Embed option for Training Material won’t allow learners to download.

@Cindy McElhinney is a resident expert and champion when it comes to using Google Drive to share content in Docebo. I’m sure she has more tips and tricks for you! Check out her comment in the following post where she shares her workflow at Wings for Kids.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

For this I typically convert to a PDF and then load it using something like pdf.js into an iframe into the course/page.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Great tip @Adam Ballhaussen, we have this problem too, however, our company won’t let us use Google Slides.  Any idea whether Microsoft support will be coming soon?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hey @joanna.lay, I’m not aware of any plans to support Microsoft files as Training Materials or Assets similar to the current Google Drive integration.

• Could you share more information about your use case for Microsoft support here?
  • What Microsoft products do you currently use that you’d like to see integrated with Docebo?
  • How do you imagine the Microsoft products would be integrated? What do you need to be able to do?

After a quick browse in Ideas, I didn’t see anything related to this request. It might be a good idea to answer the questions I just asked in a new idea so that our team can review it. If you do, please share the link here!

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Hey @joanna.lay, I’m not aware of any plans to support Microsoft files as Training Materials or Assets similar to the current Google Drive integration.

• Could you share more information about your use case for Microsoft support here?
  • What Microsoft products do you currently use that you’d like to see integrated with Docebo?
  • How do you imagine the Microsoft products would be integrated? What do you need to be able to do?

After a quick browse in Ideas, I didn’t see anything related to this request. It might be a good idea to answer the questions I just asked in a new idea so that our team can review it. If you do, please share the link here!

Thanks @Adam Ballhaussen, the requirement would be the same as the others above - to be able to embed powerpoints that include links and other interactive functionality as slideshows (when we add them they become non-interactive slideshows and we lose all interactivity).  It would be good to see this in courses, but also as assets as well.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi everyone. PowerPoint came out with a great web version for its content almost 10 years ago. If you put your content into a personal onedrive account (it is reasonably secure, dont be thrown off by personal), you can get an embed from OneDrive and share a web version of that PowerPoint. Many of the animations and even audio remains respected by that player.

It is not difficult and used to be my model for deploying lots of content with teams that needed to have control of the material.

I do think as a player it is one of the best out there with little translation that is done with it. There are minor limitations to it, but overall - it is a seriously good way of deploying content.

Only downside? Is it introduces another layer of technology. Every layer you add as you deploy and then maintain? Has an associated risk factor to it. Microsoft and OneDrive risk factors when it comes to downtime and changes in technology I would say is “low”.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Hi everyone. PowerPoint came out with a great web version for its content almost 10 years ago. If you put your content into a personal onedrive account (it is reasonably secure, dont be thrown off by personal), you can get an embed from OneDrive and share a web version of that PowerPoint. Many of the animations and even audio remains respected by that player.

It is not difficult and used to be my model for deploying lots of content with teams that needed to have control of the material.

I do think as a player it is one of the best out there with little translation that is done with it. There are minor limitations to it, but overall - it is a seriously good way of deploying content.

Only downside? Is it introduces another layer of technology. Every layer you add as you deploy and then maintain? Has an associated risk factor to it. Microsoft and OneDrive risk factors when it comes to downtime and changes in technology I would say is “low”.

I got stuck after copy Embed code from one drive. How would you bring the ppt into the LMS using iframe?

If so, could you help me on setup iframe (I never used Iframe earlier).

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

So, just to be clear, you don’t need the personal version to do this, corporate ones do to, it comes down to sharing permissions, if they allow open sharing which is what this embed option does (most corporations do not allow this as it is a security issue, your document is literally open and available to anyone). Just be careful as the link that is generated is literally open access with no tracking and no additional controls.

Be careful using this option as even if it seems fine open data, if your company blocks it on purpose, you may be violating company rules by doing the personal account method to get around it and setting yourself up for issues down the road. Have seen people fired for similar and less things.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Thank you for your insights. We are now receiving more ppt/pdf files as content for our LMS that we do not want to upload as a file. As a result, I prefer the slide converter option, but it does not interact with the content (Hyperlinks not works). It takes more time to convert as a scorm package.

Is there any best practice we can do in this situation?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Thank you for your insights. We are now receiving more ppt/pdf files as content for our LMS that we do not want to upload as a file. As a result, I prefer the slide converter option, but it does not interact with the content (Hyperlinks not works). It takes more time to convert as a scorm package.

Is there any best practice we can do in this situation?

It’s all a balance of your unique situation. Do the links need to be in the doc or can you add them as a seperate content or widget? Slide converter is then probably the easiest, or some folks I know convert their slides to a video then. Converter basically makes screenshots, so you have to know that going in. SCORM is a valid route but then you need to factor the conversion into the development process and establish that ppt delivery does not equal done. There’s other solves like slides.com that let you make powerpoint like presentations but are web based(html/css/javascript native) but you end up converting unless folks get comfortable building there. If you have google docs, you can do the embed option discussed above, same with office365 depending on your companies sharing rights. Have to find the route that balances the best needs for you.