Best Answer

Quick Resource Guide

• 20 October 2021
  • 5 replies

I am new to Docebo and have a question … I’m sure this is a super quick and easy fix.

We offer our clients a ton of downloadable resources for them to use in their businesses.  I want to create a “Quick Resources” link on the homepage so clients can access downloadable files in one place vs having to search for the course and go to the linked File Repository.

What is the best way to do this?

The “less clean” way seems to be to create a LP with multiple courses, but the courses only contain the downloads.  

Thanks for your input!

icon

Best answer by elamast 20 October 2021, 22:46

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@SDurbin I would definitely recommend using Channels. This is a great way to share informal assets that you can set as downloadable or not. Check out the KB article for more details:

https://help.docebo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020124219-Creating-and-Managing-Channels

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Another possible way would be to create a page under the admin menu > “Manage Pages” and add that to the menu, but I think you’re looking for something more up-front and obvious.  You could use the header under admin menu > “Configure Branding and Look” to place this in the “header message” section.

Note that the editor there is minimalistic, but you can copy/paste formatted text from another HTML editor (not the code, but the formatted text itself) to get a better look.  You can also adjust the size of the header area with CSS (such as changing the height property of class "doc-layout-header-message”).

If you choose to do it this way, then you will need a place to host the downloadable files. For this kind of thing we would just host the files on AWS and provide a web link. It’s also possible to set up a “stub course” where you upload the materials, but then you have to figure out where Docebo has actually hosted the files and link to the actual hosted location (not super obvious).

There are also ways to inject things into the course catalog “carousels” if you want.  We use this to show a color code for course types. Here’s an example of that: 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

@SDurbinwe were experimenting with this for a while, and in my opinion, using courses to only store files is not a best experience for users - as if you put them as learning objects, once someone will download all files, the course is marked as completed, so it’s showing on a different list. If you want to add them to the Files widget, then you still need to create some learning objects.

With Channels, it’s better, however, apart from creating separate channel for each topic, there is little organization possible and some of our users were struggling to find out where is the Download button (as it’s not very visible, presented in the top-right among action icons).

We have a CMS system (external to Docebo), where we host files, and we’re using HTML widgets to make them available. The downside is, that we need to edit the HTML manually every time there is a change in the list of files or when they have new URLs.

If you already have a place where your users can access all those files, maybe you can create a page and use an IFRAME widget to present the files to users directly from the File Repository, saving yourself a lot if maintenance work, as changes will be immediately visible to users.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

We do something similar to @alekwo. We were hesitant to make the downloadable resources a part of a course because it also takes up one of our active user licenses when someone goes in to download a resource (and maybe they are not necessarily taking content).  

We host our documents in an Azure storage space, then link the documents to homepages in Docebo. It is easy enough to update, because we only need to update the document in the storage space and not any of the links in the system (as long as we don’t change the name of the document). 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

We use a hyperlinked Image widget on our pages that takes the user to a sharepoint page where files, like “Quick Resources”, are organized in logical folders. It could even theoretically go to a SharePoint landing page first to make browsing easier. Docebo is definitely not designed to be a file repository, but it can be really effective at linking to one. As an alternative, I agree with @lrnlab on the Channels recommendation.