Best Answer

Recurring Training vILT - Multiple sessions or multiple events?

• 21 July 2022
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1

We are new to Docebo and offer Bi-weekly training sessions that anyone at the company can attend on our product and encourage all new hires to join.

When setting up the vILT is it better to have 1 session with multiple events under it, only requiring someone to attend one event to get completion or watch the recording. 

OR

Multiple Sessions with 1 event per session? 

icon

Best answer by eleonora.maggioni 22 July 2022, 13:35

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hi @corydavis08,

Sessions and events are tricky, in order to decide when you should use more sessions or 1 session with more events you should remember that when a user is enrolled in a session he is automatically enrolled in all the events related to that session.

So for example:

• if you have a session related the topic A and you divide the session in different meetings because it is a complex topic, and all the users enrolled should follow all the meetings you should create a session with different events

Session topic A:

event topic A.1 22/07

event topic A.2 23/07

event topic A.3 24/07

• if you have a session related the topic B and another session with the same topic in a different period or with a different topic, and the user can be enrolled only in 1 session you should create multiple sessions with 1 event per session 

Session topic B July:

event topic B 22/07

Session topic B  August:

event topic B 22/08

Session topic C July:

event topic C 23/07

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

@eleonora.maggioni this is a super helpful description of Sessions vs Events, I’m bookmarking your response so I can share it with any Power Users who are understandably confused about Sessions vs Events.

Userlevel 1

Thank you @eleonora.maggioni  - That was perfect and what we finally figured out after troubleshooting a lot more yesterday. Perfectly explained though and helps me know we made the right decision.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Within this solution. Could a learner sign up for multiple sessions and events? For example could they attend Event A1, B2 and C4?

Do you offer credits for event attendance? Would they get multiple credits?

Userlevel 2

Does someone have an image of what a session versus an event looks like? I don’t easily see events in my version of Docebo and it would be great to see what these look like.

Userlevel 5
Badge

@jordandb Are you looking for screen shots or more of a definition?

One of the courses we offer is a live or virtual training and certification course. This class is offered in several different locations around the country. 

I created an ILT class called 2023 Training class. 

Within that class I created individual sessions for each time we offer the class. 

• Session 1 April Main factory
  • Session 2 Orlando Outpost
  • Session 3 virtual

Each session then contains an event for each day the session runs so we can track attendance.

So we are using the ILT class as a reportable conglomerate for all o fthe attendees that were trained this year. Sessions to each individual offering, and events as the access portal during the session. 

I also have another ILT class that is a biweekly webinar series. This class has one session, and then each of the events is a webinar. 

There are a few drawbacks in ILT we have encountered that I hope get fixed

1. Training materials are one bucket available to all attendees all the time. It would be ideal to be able to tie access to the date of an event so people who are registered for a class in December are not seeing the material until their class goes live as opposed to now when they can see it when they register. 
  2. Attendees can only be enrolled in one session within an ILT class. Again, this is a bummer as it affects how you can offer credits or offer materials. 

Hope this helps

Userlevel 2

@jordandb Are you looking for screen shots or more of a definition?

One of the courses we offer is a live or virtual training and certification course. This class is offered in several different locations around the country. 

I created an ILT class called 2023 Training class. 

Within that class I created individual sessions for each time we offer the class. 

• Session 1 April Main factory
  • Session 2 Orlando Outpost
  • Session 3 virtual

Each session then contains an event for each day the session runs so we can track attendance.

So we are using the ILT class as a reportable conglomerate for all o fthe attendees that were trained this year. Sessions to each individual offering, and events as the access portal during the session. 

I also have another ILT class that is a biweekly webinar series. This class has one session, and then each of the events is a webinar. 

There are a few drawbacks in ILT we have encountered that I hope get fixed

1. Training materials are one bucket available to all attendees all the time. It would be ideal to be able to tie access to the date of an event so people who are registered for a class in December are not seeing the material until their class goes live as opposed to now when they can see it when they register. 
  2. Attendees can only be enrolled in one session within an ILT class. Again, this is a bummer as it affects how you can offer credits or offer materials. 

Hope this helps

Thanks @Davefox that is helpful. I am looking for a visual of what the Events look like. We have a strange iteration of the Docebo that is provided through our HCMS vendor and they often have different features turned off or on. Our ILT courses have the sessions, but I do see how to add different events under a session, so that is what I was hoping to get a visual of. I have a course that will run one time per year (session) but run for 10-12 weeks, where it seems the Events would be helpful here. 

Userlevel 5
Badge

Attached are screenshots of our ILT events.  Hope this helps. 

Webinar Series as events to a single session
Class with multiple sessions. This is a Live session with events for each day​​​​​
Class with multiple sessions. This is a virtual session. Countdown to access the Online platform 

Userlevel 2

Very helpful @Davefox thank you! I think this events feature for sessions is simply not enabled on our platform, so I will reach out to our rep about this. Thanks again.