Using the Content Partners App to offer discounts on courses

• 19 May 2021
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

A creative way to offer instant discounts on your courses via the Content Partners app.

We needed a way to apply a universal discount to groups of branches without using coupons. I came across the Content Partners app and found that you can create a discount “profile” that allows those authorized branches to see discounted prices all the while keeping the regular price visible to users who are not part of those branches. It’s like a workaround to provide different prices on courses without actually creating copies of the same course.

You can create several different content partners that offer different discounts as needed. Each content partner entry can be specific to particular set of courses as well as a specific set of branches. Once set up, users who are aligned under the affiliates tab instantly see a discounted price and there is no need to issue or manage coupons. You can also add an image, logo or icon that can be displayed (or not) when the user checks out.

Here are a couple of snapshots showing this:

User view of catalogue who is NOT an affiliate:

Same view for a user who IS an affiliate: please notice the % discount in the top left corner and the discounted price below the course title

Detailed course view: showing the content partner logo and discount

If you’d need any additional information, please let me know.

8 replies

Userlevel 4

Great tip, thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@lrnlab we use this frequently! 

Only down side is you can only apply one content partner discount to a course.  So if you have multiple discount levels, you need a separate course for each discount.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi @lrnlab 

We tried this when we launched our platform but the ‘Content Partner’ field now appears as one of the filters in the course catalogue even though our promotional sale has concluded.

How did you get around this?

Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@david.stock I tried turning it off but it still shows in the filter so you probably need to delete the whole thing if you are no longer using it. Keep in mind that my post was more about getting around the issue with course that cannot have more than 1 price...once that update comes in (hopefully soon), we may end up deleting it as well...Perhaps in future, for your promotional sales, COUPONS would work better for you? or Subscriptions where you can price a catalogue differently...may be worth a try...

Any thoughts for offering a short-term promotion in conjunction with the content partner app discounted pricing? We use the content partner app to differentiate the pricing for members and non-members. We are considering a special short-term promotion for members for select courses. However, as noted above, coupons cannot be applied on top of the content partner app. We would much rather not duplicate the courses, if there’s another option. Any ideas would be most welcome!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Any thoughts for offering a short-term promotion in conjunction with the content partner app discounted pricing? We use the content partner app to differentiate the pricing for members and non-members. We are considering a special short-term promotion for members for select courses. However, as noted above, coupons cannot be applied on top of the content partner app. We would much rather not duplicate the courses, if there’s another option. Any ideas would be most welcome!

you don't need to duplicate courses if you want to use the content partner app to offer a catalogue-wide discount. When your promotional period is over, you can remove the dependent branches from the partner app and they will see the regular prices after that...

I am having real trouble with the discount portion of the content partners app. 

I have a course I am offering at $660 however we would like to promote an early bird special of $550 which is $110 off. This is technically a discount of 16.67%.

When I was originally testing in my Sandbox I was able to set up at discount of 16.6666% which rounded up and gave me the $550 price that I was after. 

Now that I have gone to set up it up for my live environment, I can’t get the price to reflect what I want. I put in 16.6666% and it is giving a me a 16% discount. Why is not picking up the actual discount I am asking for?  

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

You can manually adjust the partner price on the course itself if you need to be a specific amount.