Coffee Anyone? Let's Chat...

• 18 November 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hopefully there is a coffee pot next to the water cooler… :relaxed:

Informal dialogue while we sip from our cups…

When you make a course in Docebo - what percentage of it is made up of say… SCORM files that you built with a third party authoring tool and what percentage is made up using native tools within Docebo?

What, if any, criteria do you have for deciding when to make a quiz with your preferred authoring tool vs building one with Docebo tools?

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Our courses are almost exclusively video based, so no SCORM files at the moment. We create the videos in Camtasia. For everything else, we pretty much use the native tools within Docebo.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

we tend you use a variety of tools, Articulate 360, storyline, studio etc. as well a a very healthy dose of video productions. The key for us is what works best for the developers of our content and the subject matter. 

One key learning for us was to ensure brand compliance and to provide brand templates will all the tools we use. the choice of tool then comes down to the preference of the developer.

For quizzes we do however always use storyline as it makes the tracking much easier and also has a very wide variety of question types. We again set up a master template and ensure that the student can retry and review the quiz answers.

I am now getting the developers to focus on better questions (objective referenced) t=rather than playing too much with the tool

Hope this helps

Gary

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Purely a SCORM shop leveraging EasyGenerator and Articulate products. But? These are tools in the tooLbox.

Big story is portability. Migration projects suck and can be expensive as you attempt to extract content from A and fit it into B.

In this game for years? I would advise any team looking to sustain an LMS beyond its lifecycle? Then build it with a third party tool.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thanks for joining me - please feel free to refill those coffee cups if necessary…

@Daniel - Camtasia is a favorite of mine - been using it for as long as I can remember. When I need a video - Camtasia is my “Go To”. I am also a big advocate for interactivity so I turn to Captivate when I make those learning objects.

@Gary Jarvis - being in the private sector myself, branding is a big deal so I totally get that. As we get rolling with our newly acquired instance of Docebo, I am sure the marketing team and I will have a few sessions to figure out how I need to build some things.

For quizzes we do however always use storyline as it makes the tracking much easier…

I am curious about this statement. Perhaps you could expand on this a bit. In what ways does the SCORM project make the tracking easier? Up until now, I have been forced to make all my quizzes with Captivate because our last LMS did not have any built-in tools. I’m looking forward to actually building some quick assessments with the Docebo tools because I thought it would be faster to generate, easier to update if needed by removing the need to open a separate application to make adjustments followed by republishing and uploading the new changes, and finally, I figured the native tools would by default work well. Are there some things, perhaps, that you are tracking with Storyline that Docebo doesn’t?

@dklinger - You bring up a great point about portability and migration. Currently, we are probably on the small side in terms of numbers of courses to offer. I was thinking it would be a great time to update and clean up the way some of the courses are presented rather than migrate them “as is” and was totally up for the task. Ultimately, though, it isn’t my decision to make. Our MIS department and VP of Tech and Business Process Management will make that call.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@gstager - understood. I will tell you that a very complex step is content migration itself to new platforms (let alone the records related to them).

People are passionate about their learning.

That said - you may need to seriously need to see the light on this subject. Here is a real life story.

I worked at an organization where we supported a decentralized effort model. Give people the right tools and templates and let them go do what they need to do. 95% of the groups were subject matter experts and were not instructional designers nor did they have the time to learn a tool beyond a few baseline recipes in the learning system.

As the learning systems lead, I received a note that I was going to be the lead of a team to migrate content at an organization - that meant over 1500 courses in the LMS instance that was created by that decentralized effort model. I got quoted over a 200K spend to support that migration from a consultant group. That helped to essentially pause that level of discussion. We thought it through and went towards a strategy of having the teams that were leading and generating their content in their corner of their catalogs to be given a set of new content creation tools to support internal curation and the migrating of their materials into SCORM packages overtime. #itsstillunderway and that initiative started and gained some adoption into 2019.

To be fair, there was also a pandemic and a few other things that have happened in between. Including me leaving the organization.

But coming into a new place?

I also helped to migrate just over 150 courses into our Learn instance…it took 3 interns 3 months to power through it.

It becomes serious business - dont close your eyes on it for long - your success can weigh you down considerably.

My understanding - some thought has gone into Docebo allowing for the export of courses into other LMS ready packages. @Adam Ballhaussen - I dont want to speak in a vacuum - was that part of the pitch? Or is there a fork of development going towards that.