šŸŽ Give Yourself The Gift of Learning Challenge

• 8 December 2021
  • 11 replies
šŸŽ Give Yourself The Gift of Learning Challenge
Userlevel 6
Badge

šŸŽ¶Ā  Oh, the weather outside is frightful (I am in Canada)

But the fire is so delightful (Donā€™t worry, it is a soy candle, I donā€™t want to upset anyone)

Since we've no place to go (I work remote)

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snowā€¦ (until Jan 1 only please, then no more) šŸŽ¶

Ā 

Itā€™s officially the holiday season. There are partiesĀ :tada:Ā (maybe a little smaller, maybe on Zoom), thereā€™s shoppingĀ :shopping_cart:Ā (let's do what we can for the economy), and thereā€™s lots of food :fork_knife_plate:. I love this time of year! Itā€™s a time to see family and friends, do a little reflecting and it can be anĀ opportunity to reset. As another year comes to an end, I find myself thinking, ā€œNext year, Iā€™ll make sure I take the time toā€¦ā€ [insert any number of things from eat healthier, exercise, read etc.].

Ā 

Well, today, I decided not to wait. Whatā€™s so great about January 1st? Iā€™ll spare you the (long) list of items Iā€™m going to do this New Year, but thought Iā€™d share a really important one that Iā€™m taking action on now; focus more on growth and development, thatā€™s rightā€¦ learning! Convenient since I work at Docebo :wink:. But regardless of where you work and what you thought when you walked out of your last educational institution for the final time, learning is ongoing. Frankly,Ā it makes the difference between knowing,Ā growing and/or finding yourselfā€¦well irrelevant. Ouch, harsh! But you understand, youā€™re my people.

Ā 

In a previous life, I often heard, ā€œI just donā€™t have time to take the training or work on my own development.ā€ And I would often answer, ā€œIt mattersā€”make the time.ā€ Yet, here I am not making the time.Ā Ā Ā 

Ā 

So, will you join me in making the time? In fact, I challenge you to make the time! Whoā€™s with me?!Ā :raising_hand:

Ā 

I know, itā€™s the end of year and weā€™re all busy, but I also know we can do it.Ā Ā 

Hereā€™s the challenge (if you choose to accept it):Ā 

Ā 

1ļøāƒ£Ā  Ā Opt in, you deserve it!

Resolve to:

• Read a book

• Catch up on your favorite blog

• Listen to a PodcastĀ 

• Take an online course

• Finally get through that fancy magazine on your desk that you know makes you look really smart (Thank you HBR)

Ā 

2ļøāƒ£Ā  Ā Share with us!Ā Ā Ā 

We can keep you accountable. Plus, Iā€™m a sucker for recommendations and I am fairly confident you have a few good ones up your sleeves. We can all grow together!Ā 

Ā 

3ļøāƒ£Ā  Share with others!

Give the gift of learning to someone else. Pass on what you learned, lend the book, share the Podcast and remind them they, too, need to take the time.Ā Ā 

Get in on the action!Ā  ā¬‡ļøā¬‡ļøā¬‡ļøĀ  Do it for yourself. Iā€™ll even start by challenging a few other Docebians to join in (@Adam BallhaussenĀ @erin.brissonĀ @ryan.woodsĀ @pmoĀ - get in on this!) and I hope you do too.

11 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Iā€™m in!Ā 

FWIW, my top 3:Ā 

1. Pick up the guitar again -- I love to play, but can never find the time to devote to it. That probably means I need to make time this next year to get back into it.Ā 
  2. Bike 100 miles -- During the pandemic, most of my training went indoors. Thatā€™s great, but Iā€™d love to do a serious ride this next year at a competitive pace.
  3. Start teaching again -- When I took up my position at Docebo, I left my post as a professor. I donā€™t regret that move, but a part of me wants to get back in the classroom. Iā€™m exploring options to offer courses at the University of Georgiaā€™s continuing education programs for area senior citizens, after-school enrichment programs for kids in my city, or college-credit courses at a local penitentiary. Open to opportunities you all might know, too!Ā 

ā€‹ā€‹ā€‹ā€‹ā€‹ā€‹ā€‹

Userlevel 6
Badge

I am sharing for accountability!Ā  Donā€™t let me drop the ball.

Before (NOT AFTER) the ball drops in NYC on December 31st I want to get through two books on my get-on-it-already list.

1. Just ordered (thinking about our economyĀ šŸ›’) The Conversation: How Seeking and Speaking the Truth About Racism Can Radically Transform Individuals and Organizations byĀ Robert Livingston
  2. What You do is Who You Are by Ben Horowitz. It has been on my desk (beside the last 3 HBR magazines) for 2 holiday seasons now.Ā  His first book - The Hard Thing About Hard Things - so good!

I promise to somehow share what I learn from these two books in a future post!Ā Ā 

Userlevel 1

I plan to do lots of reading, starting with:Ā 

• Finish reading (or rater studding) ā€œThinking, Fast and slowā€ from Daniel Kahneman.Ā  It is an excellent book. You can apply what you learn in it daily both on the job and personal life.Ā 
  • Read at least two historic novels.Ā Ā 

I challenge @francesca.bettelliĀ Ā 

Userlevel 2

Iā€™m opting in! Just started a new series (embarrassed I havenā€™t already read it) Pillars of the Earth. Completion to be done hopefully by the end of the holidays!Ā 

Iā€™m also setting a goal to hit a 500 output on a 30 minute ride on the Peloton!! Keep me honest!Ā 

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Ā 

Iā€™m also setting a goal to hit a 500 output on a 30 minute ride on the Peloton!! Keep me honest!Ā 

Thatā€™s impressive, my man @rob.ayre! Still trying to crack 400 from my end.Ā 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Iā€™m in!Ā 

FWIW, my top 3:Ā 

1. Pick up the guitar again -- I love to play, but can never find the time to devote to it. That probably means I need to make time this next year to get back into it.Ā 
  2. Bike 100 miles -- During the pandemic, most of my training went indoors. Thatā€™s great, but Iā€™d love to do a serious ride this next year at a competitive pace.
  3. Start teaching again -- When I took up my position at Docebo, I left my post as a professor. I donā€™t regret that move, but a part of me wants to get back in the classroom. Iā€™m exploring options to offer courses at the University of Georgiaā€™s continuing education programs for area senior citizens, after-school enrichment programs for kids in my city, or college-credit courses at a local penitentiary. Open to opportunities you all might know, too!Ā ā€‹ā€‹ā€‹

Ā 

I think we could be friends.

1. I enjoy playing guitar as well. Rhythm acoustic is mostly my style but slowly trying to improve my fingerstyle.
  2. I enjoy riding bike but that will certainly not be a goal of mine any time soon. The forecast in my area is calling for 9-15 inches of snow tonight. My goal is therefore to get the driveway cleared this weekend.
  3. Iā€™ve always been a teacher in some capacity, whether in the classroom (K-12),Ā in the gym (gymnastics), or at work (training/developing) - I enjoy sharing what I know with others

I didnā€™t mean that to be creepy, by the way, promise.

Userlevel 6
Badge

@gstager...Did you make it through the snow?Ā  Just want to make sure we donā€™t need to call in back up!Ā 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@gstager...Did you make it through the snow?Ā  Just want to make sure we donā€™t need to call in back up!Ā 

Yes - I am a survivor!

My gymnastics practice got canceled and I spent 2.5 hours snowblowing (which includes the help from my three teenage boys, BTW). Now Wednesday we are supposed to hit 55Ā°F.

#wisconsinLife

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

#whatsnow?Ā :joy:

Challenge accepted, @irasema sarmiento!

On the new year, I resolve to (among other things):

1. Stop just studying and testing randomly, and getĀ instead a real Front End Developer certificate.
  2. Read the complete Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind manga, becauseā€¦Ā well, because itā€™sĀ Miyazaki.
  3. Take my mom (if COVID allows) to the Netherlands to see the tulips fields, because taking care of someone elseā€™s learning and growth is just as beautiful.

I challenge @tommaso.collocaĀ 

:-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Iā€™m in!

This year I am going to:

1. Complete that online course on UX and UIĀ design
  2. Roller Skate 1500 miles (it helps me clear my mind and problem solve for some strange reason)