Best Answer

How do you keep track of your Docebo universe?

• 28 January 2022
  • 5 replies

I’m an incoming super admin for our medium-sized organization’s newish Docebo project. I missed several months of the initial planning and project and I’m working hard to catch up :)  It’s a mountain of information and decisions and possibilities, but my question for Superadmins (or anyone) out there is how do you keep track of all the parts, pieces, procedures, practices and things? I need to get and stay organized, but I wanted to get your ideas. Do you use Excel, back of an envelope, Monday.com or other method of documenting and organizing all the things that make up your Docebo universe? 

Many thanks in advance!
EM

icon

Best answer by alekwo 28 January 2022, 11:28

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

On our side that’s a mixture of tools and systems.

Not sure if it’s the best, we simply adopted what we had available in the company.

Confluence - is the key place for our documentation of the design decisions, integrations, processes, content guidelines, as well as user tutorials, and a place where we post our roadmap, work status, and metrics (so they are visible to everyone in the company).

Jira - is our project management tool for content creation and updates (our Confluence pages are pulling data from Jira automatically so everyone can check where we are and what we’re plannig).

SharePoint - is a document repository for all source files used when creating/updating courses.

GitHub - is a repository of all things related to code - especially the CSS, but also scripts using Docebo APIs.

Slack - for notifications from Docebo that we need to keep an eye on (to avoid cluttering our emails).

Userlevel 5
Badge

We are similar to @alekwo :

Confluence for project plans, content development, tracking decisions etc

Jira for task management, although I think this is overkill for our needs and am evaluating other options. It works great for more technical tasks but is perhaps overkill for most things we need to do.

Excel for status overviews for people outside of the Academy team - easier for them to see a quick summary but adds a layer of work on our side

Google Drive / Slides etc for all the assets that are needed during ILT for example

Elucidat for our e-learning authoring

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

@mwd regarding JIRA, while indeed it’s a tool created for technical projects, and there may be simpler solutions, we’ve found it quite well suited for content creation, especially once we started to use Automation to help with repeatable transitions (like assigning content for a review, and sending it back) and actions (like creating task for writing a course script, recording audio narration, capturing videos, producing a learning object, etc.)

Without going into all nuances - below is how we are using various Jira elements for our purposes.

We create product training, so we are using Components in Jira to align courses with products, that is useful on Kanban boards as may be used a s a filter as well as to assign owners to specific product training areas.

We use Epics to represent Courses, and then Stories to represent specific lessons (learning objects) - under which we create sub-tasks with relevant work items to be done.

We have a workflow with statuses and transitions reflecting our processes

• Backlog - what we plan to do in the future
  • To Do - next on the list
  • In Progress
  • Requested review
  • Under Review
  • Returned from a review to be Reopened
  • Waiting For (other inputs than a review)
  • Done
  • Archived / Won’t do

And as said, we have several Automation rules, which are creating default set of tasks for each element as well as on some transitions, sending emails about upcoming (or past) due dates, etc.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

For system functionality, I document my discoveries, questions, and answers in OneNote. A structure that can be shared with others if desired. I have a Docebo Platform tab with pages for the topic areas. These are my notes. I also have a Playbook tab for best practice and procedure development that are ultimately posted to an maintained on Teams/SharePoint.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

While labor intensive to get started, I found a wiki site was quite helpful. The goal of the site is to document everything that I (as the sr. super admin) have done with respect to configuration and process. In a way, it is part of our redundancy/recovery planning. Each tenant of our extended enterprise has a “root page” that they can use for this.

I built pages that listed all of the details of catalogs/learning plans/courses/training materials/content language so that I could see all relationships at-a-glance. Since my team members (admins, IDDs, trainers) all have some level of access to this wiki site, they can get answers to their questions without involving me.

The wiki also tracks “how to” steps for certain LMS processes (as we have implemented them), as well as resolutions for common learner screw-ups that require an admin solution.

Recently we started a “journal” page that tracks major changes to the LMS, such as implementing new apps, significant changes to catalogs/Learning plans (like +/- courses, complete revamps. We don’t track course versions). This is helpful when we need to do forensic investigations of issues.