Best Answer

Is a training material that is completed in one course completed in another?

• 16 November 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I want to make sure that I am following something before I trigger a bunch of course equivalents.

Lets say I have 2 courses. Both Course A and B have the same training material (not a copy).

If a person completes the training material in A - are they already done with training material in B?

Another way of saying the same thing….

If meeting the completion criteria of a training material drives the completion of Course A, will a person being done with training material in Course A mark that training material in B as completed and ergo mark B as completed as well?

icon

Best answer by alekwo 16 November 2021, 12:35

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

@dklinger I think there are two, separate things to consider.

Course equivalencies - when you configure two courses as equivalent - it doesn’t matter what learning objects they have, once a user complete one of those courses, the second one will be marked as completed on the course level (the completion status of individual learning objects won’t change). You can read more here: https://help.docebo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020127479-Configuring-Course-Equivalencies

Learning Objects from the Central Repository - all (except of surveys) are tracked across all courses. When learner complete such lesson, it will be marked as completed across all courses. There are some caveats around the version control, you can find here - https://help.docebo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020124619-Managing-the-Central-Repository#subtitle-14

If I understand your case correctly, you consider having two courses with exactly the same Learning Objects, all from the Central Repository with shared tracking.

In this case, I see two possible scenarios:

• user is enrolled in both Course A and Course B - once the user completes all learning modules in one course, both courses will be marked as completed.
  • user is enrolled in only once of the courses (let’s say A) - once the user will complete all modules in Course A, course A will be marked as completed. Course B won’t be set as completed, as the user is not even enrolled in that course. However, should the user later get enrolled in Course B, it will be immediately marked as completed.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2

To share tracking of the same training materials, you can follow these steps:

1. Upload the training material to Course A
  2. Push the training material to Central Repository
  3. Upload the pushed training material from Central Repository to course B.

When a user completes the training materials in any of the courses, it will help to mark the completion of the training material in both courses. Refer to this for more information.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hey @dklinger, great question. Course Equivalencies only apply at the course level and not at the training material level. See the following excerpt from the Configuring Course Equivalencies knowledge article:

For example, if Course A is set as an equivalent to Course B and Course C, and a user is enrolled in all of the three courses. Once Course A is completed, the user will automatically be marked as having completed Course B and Course C as well with no need to go back to complete Course B and Course C later. Please note that for Course B and Course C, the training material statuses (not yet started, in progress, or complete), as well as session completion status, will not change, and the user will not receive a final score for these courses. If the user is not enrolled in all the equivalent courses but has completed one of them, once he or she will be enrolled in one of the others they will be automatically marked as completed.

If your goal is to ensure that completion of training materials is tracked consistently across multiple courses, then you should use the Central Repository. The Share Tracking for Training Material section of the Managing the Central Repository knowledge article explains how training materials from the central repository are tracked:

All training materials on the platform are now share tracked. What does that mean? If you have the same training material (or the same version of training material) in multiple courses, and a user completes the training material in one course, it will automatically be marked as complete in the rest of the courses where that training material is placed. This is the default setting for all training materials, and it’s set at the version level. Because of this, it is vital to be very careful when resetting user data regarding content completion. The only exceptions to share tracking are surveys.

If I’m understanding your use case correctly, you’d like to mark not only Course B as complete when Course A is completed, but also all of the training material for Course B, is that correct? If so, then I recommend managing all of the training materials for both courses in the central repository so that you can share the completion tracking of training materials across courses.

If the training materials in Course A are not identical to the training materials in Course B, then there’s no standard option in Docebo Learn that would allow you to mark the training materials in Course B that aren’t in Course A as complete when the learner completes Course A. One option in this case would be to use the Learner completed course webhook event and Docebo’s APIs to mark specific training materials complete.

There might be others out there who have accomplished something similar and could share a few tips. Did my initial explanation help with your use case, or are you hoping to update the completion of non-identical training materials in two different courses?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Wow! @alekwo and @Chelsy Koshy are both on it! I should’ve refreshed my page before posting my reply, because they already hooked you up with perfect answers. I’d reiterate everything that they both shared with you @dklinger 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Well heck - thank you everyone!

I am asking because this will clearly help with one or two things (courses that are set to act as an equivalent to make up for a course missed in a learning plan that has timed out for example), but it may feel like it acts funky with others with the incorrect management of the objects.

For example? Let’s say I setup a SCO to act as a simple attestation. I really should be copying that SCO per course and not reusing the same attestation across multiple courses to avoid people having that SCO triggered across the many courses.