Is there a good way to "fake" a 4k monitor or a 3500x1440 ultrawide monitor?

• 22 December 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I want to see what the site looks like and edit css for larger monitors than what I have and use

Is there a good way to do this without simply buying a 4k monitor? I don’t really need one other than for testing particularly. I suppose I’d also want to see not just how CSS works and applies but how layout works and how graphics look - which MIGHT require an actual device.

Macbook pro is 2560x1600 but I don’t know a lot about the mac-pc divide. I’ve seen screenshares of 4k monitors on zoom and the pages are very narrow with massive white spaces to the left and right.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@lrodman - good morning - I dont believe there is a great way to do what you are suggesting without having a:

• a graphics card that can support 4K
  • attaching it to a monitor that allows you to emulate 4K

Older monitors played some games with emulation back in the day...I dont know what will better support you in that space today? Because it has changed so dramatically.

A non-sequitur - Dude - you go to Costco? 65” is like the cheaper standard LCD screen for your wall today….65”!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Oh and get this - if you try to play the game via pixels?
Here is a good link for you:Wikipedia

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I’d think you could pull this off with a virtual machine as long as whatever you are running is not too smart to auto match your physical device. I know one of our lab guys used to do it and it would basically render right but add scroll bars to his viewport. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Would it help at all to just use the console in responsive device view and set your size?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Would it help at all to just use the console in responsive device view and set your size?

Similar to the emulator route, but you will see things fuzzy that shouldn’t be due to the zooming is all.