Skip to main content

User Transcripts

• 22 May 2024
  • 2 replies

Hello! Does anyone have suggestions/tips/tricks on tracking user training time? The HR Managers at our company are constantly having to provide evidence of compliance for state audits, and unfortunately we haven’t found a “nice” way of acquiring the data. The Users-Courses report shows training time in seconds, and only provides the average course duration, not the actual time spent by the individual. The “Total Training Time” on the User Personal Summary isn’t truly accurate because it counts the time the course is open. This means if they have it open in a tab all day and go back and forth from training, the 2-hr course could be counted as 10hrs.

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Unfortunately, as far as I’m aware, that’s really what you’re stuck with.  I don’t like that the total training material time counts everything if someone leaves the tab open, either, which happens more than we would want it to.  The same field from the User Personal Summary can be found on reports that show the time spent in training material, but this also inflates the time based on how long the tab is open, and is reported in seconds.

At the least, if you don’t mind adding a step after you download the report, you can convert the average time the course takes nicely in minutes if you take a few short steps.

• Insert another column for the time in minutes.
  • Click into the first cell, then insert: =SECONDSCELL/(60*60*24)
  • Bring this formula down the whole column, and highlight all.  Select “Format Cells”, select “Custom” and make the format hh:mm.  This will convert all of your seconds times to an hh:mm format.

Thank you, @trose23! I’ve encouraged our HRMs to do this calculation as well - not a hard step, just wish we didn’t have to.
Hoping this can be a function update soon!