What's with all the negativity?!

• 15 September 2022
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I don’t know if it’s just me, but the past couple of days I feel like I keep seeing a lot of overly negative or simply demanding posts, replies to posts, etc.

I know overwhelmingly most people come here to get an answer to their problem and move on, but it is a community!

Remember, there is no need for this wonderful place to exist, it is kind of a miracle that Docebo has decided it is important enough to invest in the platform, people, and systems to have it in the first place, most platforms don’t bother, and especially not to the level of here.

While it is always great to vent and leverage the ’power of the mob’ to try and get things fixed, remember it will not happen instantly, many are only trying to help, sometimes things that sound simple are not actually, and people tend to want to help more in pleasant environments :)

//this concludes the public service announcement.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Perhaps it’s a result of the procurement process, where there’s a tendency by Docebo (inadvertently or otherwise) to over-promise in order to get the customer to sign on the dotted line ? This can potentially lead to negativity when the system then doesn’t live up to the promise later down the line and people are under pressure to deliver what was promised to their senior management team and customers or colleagues. This is compounded when a solution is offered by Docebo that turns out to cost more money than was initially budgeted for. This concludes the opening statement for the defence, your Honour.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Perhaps it’s a result of the procurement process, where there’s a tendency by Docebo (inadvertently or otherwise) to over-promise in order to get the customer to sign on the dotted line ? This can potentially lead to negativity when the system then doesn’t live up to the promise later down the line and people are under pressure to deliver what was promised to their senior management team and customers or colleagues. This is compounded when a solution is offered by Docebo that turns out to cost more money than was initially budgeted for. This concludes the opening statement for the defence, your Honour.

I get all of that, but:

1. Honestly, that’s called sales. I have evaluated and implemented countless platforms and you know what they all have in common? Sales team over sells, it’s what happens. It’s kind of important to investigate and prove, not just believe sales. 
  2. That rationale I would agree with then taking up with your csm and internal teams, again this is a community, so it’s people mostly in the same position as you, it’s not hard to take a second and simply phrase something nicer, not not say it, but no need for demanding and expecting tones. 
  3. No platform is perfect. It’s kind of great that there is an opportunity to provide feedback in such an open way to help improve. If more people took the time to do simple things to help the staff help us, we’d all benefit from it. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

I appreciate that, I was just trying to answer your question that you posed, and I believe it all boils down to responsibly managing expectations and perhaps showing empathy for those who have not ‘evaluated and implemented countless platforms’. My guess is that for many people LMS administration and course management represents 10% of their job description, while the majority of their day is focussed on delivering remote or classroom training, creating training material and other project work. If they end up spending more than 10% of their time trying to find workarounds, it’s bound to lead to some negativity. Where we completely agree is that we are fortunate the Community exists so that we can endeavour to help one another - but for balance you cannot argue that leveraging customer’s time, experience and expertise in the Community is not also a cost effective solution for Docebo. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Sometimes negativity and frustration boils over and you need to rant.  It is nice to have the support of a community that also feel your pain, so you are reminded you are not alone.  It can’t always be sunshine and happiness after all 🙂

The community is a great resource not only for peer to peer learning and assistance, but also to make our voices heard to Docebo.  In reality if we inform a CSM of our frustrations or issues, it doesn’t go anywhere, is not escalated, and those ‘further up the tree’ don’t get to hear what challenges their customers are actually experiencing.  This community gives us that opportunity, but I agree it has to be a balance of mainly the good with a little of the bad - like any community of people 👫

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@Neil Patterson totally agree and understand this, I didn’t want to post examples, but I was not really talking about just complaints. In a 12 hour period 19/20 new comments I read where just flat out straight demands directed straight at a docebo employee with undertones of entitlement, not the commiserating/venting level you are talking about which is totally normal and am fine with as it always occurs.

Two different things in my mind, guess could have specified that better in the original thought. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Of course if you’ve done 12 hours in the office and your CSM can’t turn up to a meeting they have scheduled, it’s really challenging to maintain a positive mindset. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I was thinking about this and some private messages I’ve received on my morning run just now, going to try one more explanation of what I meant and then I am moving on :)

I was a Montessori preschool teacher for many years. (The Montessori classroom is actually an apt comparison to communities, the teachers are more about facilitating and providing an environment for success, watching for feedback based on how the children are interacting, the older children help to teach and support the newer ones to th e space as well). I am not going to say every child was always happy all the time, that will never be true. However, there are children who when upset or have a problem they can find assistance calmly or the teacher is able to observe something is off with them and able to dig into and spend the energy on the problem and the problems resolution. There are other children who react loudly, what some might call tantrums - I am not, and it typically has the result of drawing in multiple resources that were focused and working on other just as important tasks, and now the energy is focused on calming the child long before approaching the problem itself, in addition to slowing down other focuses. Both children had the same problem, two different reactions, both on the upset spectrum, one keeps the energy where it belongs…on the problem. 

I was also a faculty support person at a university. Faculty are rarely happy with any system, and we had an open door policy. They would come and go constantly, some coming in and expressing their complaint, why it’s a problem, willing to listen to alternatives, willing to understand why it’s not as straight forward as they thought it was, understand it will be put on consideration lists, etc. they are clearly not happy with the situation, but understanding that there is a mechanism for the feedback and leverage it effectively. Others would storm in, doors slamming, yelling abruptly about their complaint without context as it is assumed we have had their experience that set them off, don’t want to listen, look, try, anything, just yell. Multiple support personal typically have to then come and mitigate these, and again the focus turns to calming the person rather than focusing on the problem. Those on here who are in any type of support role understand the difference of approaching a complaint. 

Where I was coming from was in a very short time I had only seen things that feel over the line into group two, while looking for group one folks to help.

​​​@Neil Patterson said, a valid purpose of community is to vent and commiserate, but there is a difference, and where do we want energy going to fix things, the actual problem or the person? 

If you are to that point of a problem, I’d suggest it might be good to take a breath, a break, a walk, talk with a friend, grab a drink, etc. when you get back the problem will still be there and I bet you’ll be able to express it more effectively.

I’ll just wrap it by saying I often get asked which do I prefer, helping the adults or the children. My answer is usually a jokful, they are almost the same - same behaviors, same methods to calm down work with them, the only difference is I don’t expect children to know better when they enter the abrupt territory (it is my role to help them identify and find better ways to manage it), I do expect adults to be able to.

:)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I was thinking about this and some private messages I’ve received on my morning run just now,

When I read the words  “on my morning run”  all I could think is that’s one way to ensure that your day doesn’t get any worse.

LOL

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hahaha, that’s the purpose of the run, reflection.