What's wrong with ILT

• 14 January 2022
  • 43 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hi all,

We recently ran a few tests using ILT in Docebo. There’s definitely some issues with ILT (and vILT) and I wanted to post these here in case someone at Docebo is listening. ILT is overly complicated in general and the end user experience leaves A LOT to be desired. Here are some of my findings.

End User Issues:

• Two different interfaces if users are enrolled vs. not enrolled into the vILT course.
  • Issue if user is assigned more than one session. Difficult to find and launch session.
  • Course calendar entry in Docebo sends users to the entire list of entries, instead of the one they clicked on. Very frustrating if many sessions are listed.
  • Calendar issue when user clicks on an event calendar link within Docebo. It creates another calendar within Outlook. Only happens when user clicks the link in Docebo, not the confirmation email .ics file, which adds to the primary calendar.
  • There is overlapping text on the drop-down menu above the enroll button.
  • Shows PLAY button after enrollment and wasn’t 100% intuitive since it’s an ILT.
  • If user changes session, they get two different emails; one saying they are unenrolled and one saying they are enrolled into the new session. However, users must click the unenrolled email .ics attachment to remove this calendar entry. It might get confusing for users who forget to do this and still have the old session in their calendar.
  • Overwhelming for users to see all sessions listed for the year. We tried splitting them up by quarter, but this presented other issues since it wasn't easy to change a session to another one.
  • Not intuitive how to change session or unenroll. The system lacks labelling for the icons.

Administrative Issues:

• There isn't a notification to send to assigned instructors by default. If instructors change or ones added, no notification is triggered.
  • vILT is complicated with the Session > Event structure. For each session, you need to create an event as well (doubling the work). E.g. most platforms allow creation of sessions with all of the necessary info. there.
  • Batch updating sessions and events isn't easy. There is no way to download existing session/event information to a CSV file to make batch updates.
  • Email notifications lack distinction between ILT (which would contain location information) and vILT (which would have a link). Only one template available for all.
  • MS Teams integration stopped working all of the sudden. Needed to change a setting (MS Teams Webinar to MS Teams Meeting). Odd that nothing changed, but stopped working.

43 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Thank you for your message - very helpful and I feel the frustration - thank you for documenting.

Userlevel 2
Badge

This is a great thread and I plan to read through it thoroughly. However, I’m fairly new and trying to figure out how to get BASIC knowledge on how to set up ILT and VILT for my use case? Where can I get direction on this? Docebo University does not provide anything other than locations of menus.  It’s not really helpful at all. Do I need to contact support? Sorry to add a non-productive comment to this thread I could really use set up assistance. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

This is a great thread and I plan to read through it thoroughly. However, I’m fairly new and trying to figure out how to get BASIC knowledge on how to set up ILT and VILT for my use case? Where can I get direction on this? Docebo University does not provide anything other than locations of menus.  It’s not really helpful at all. Do I need to contact support? Sorry to add a non-productive comment to this thread I could really use set up assistance. 

There’s a lot of random discussions on here about it, but it does sound like you might want to contact your customer success manager and talk through your precise scenario and they can definitely advise on your best route. Alternatively if you start a post on here with as many details as possible of what you are trying to do I am sure you will get a ton of opinions for how to proceed :)

Userlevel 3
Badge

@riccardogalimberti do you have a sense on when enhancements will roll out in docebo? we are getting ready to roll out a few ILT courses for our customers. however,  because the user experience to not as smooth as we would like to be for all the great reasons noted in the this thread, we are considering another platform typically used for marketing events. although the virtual classroom registration experience might be smoother taking this approach, it would mean that our clients wouldn’t see our university as the one-stop shop for learning needs that we want it to be. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

@riccardogalimberti This looks like a great improvement, when will it be available? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@riccardogalimberti are there any plans to improve ILT reports as well? 

Userlevel 5
Badge

Just an update for the multi-session issue I originally posted.

I’m working with a team in my organization who want to have ONE COURSE made and that users can sign up for multiple sessions for. The course is an ongoing learning series they like to offer using vILT.

Me and the team I’m working with are in awe how broken this ILT system is in Docebo. Users can only register for one session per course, otherwise it doesn’t show the remaining session on the course page. WHAT?!

Why can’t a user sign up for multiple sessions within ONE COURSE? This is basic usability. You’re able to add multiple sessions to a course, so why not multiple registrations to those sessions?

Docebo designed it as though you only get one shot at registration per course and if your topic is ongoing, create a new course. FUN! Now that we have weekly ILT’s, we need to add another step to make a new course each time, then a session, then an event. 😭🤢 

I think I’m going to end up in a mental institution dealing with this.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Some screenshots to explain my above rant 😆

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Just an update for the multi-session issue I originally posted.

I’m working with a team in my organization who want to have ONE COURSE made and that users can sign up for multiple sessions for. The course is an ongoing learning series they like to offer using vILT.

Me and the team I’m working with are in awe how broken this ILT system is in Docebo. Users can only register for one session per course, otherwise it doesn’t show the remaining session on the course page. WHAT?!

Why can’t a user sign up for multiple sessions within ONE COURSE? This is basic usability. You’re able to add multiple sessions to a course, so why not multiple registrations to those sessions?

Docebo designed it as though you only get one shot at registration per course and if your topic is ongoing, create a new course. FUN! Now that we have weekly ILT’s, we need to add another step to make a new course each time, then a session, then an event. 😭🤢 

I think I’m going to end up in a mental institution dealing with this.

Agree!  We have courses that are bi-weekly information sharing ILTs.  We want to track and record their attendance for their learning record obviously.  We end up having to get the attendance list from Teams (or a piece of paper if they attend in person) and manually add them to the sessions.  It is so broken!!  They need people that actually create a lot of ILT/vILT courses to prototype and beta test things I think to make sure it works in a way that is useable.  Most of our courses are instructor led, and we find the platform so frustrating.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Have yo tried adding events to a single session? 

Userlevel 2

I feel your pain! ILT and vILT need a complete overhaul. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Have you tried the new Users - ILT Sessions report. It doesn’t make the ILT UX any better but it does improve the life of those of us managing sessions!

Thanks @riccardogalimberti  I really want the new updates, we have mainly one issue and that is people can’t join the webinar as they don’t click on the arrow to drop down the menu to join.

As a band-aid fix, we’ve named “session 1” “Click me to join” (for all our sessions/events) so that at least prompts the user to click that general area to expand the section, then hopefully they click the “Join the Webinar” button (its two clicks.. but better than none).

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

I understand your frustration with the ILT experience, I have experienced many challenges. I am now finding the hidden jewels in the various options to try and achieve our business goals.

Here is a suggestion for your use case. Please test it is just a theory at this point.

1. For each series of the course setup 1 session, set the session completion to # of events you expect for this series in Attendance Based: Custom Number of Events. 
  2. Set up Events for this session, either in advance or add as you go.
    1. Users will attend each event, then and will not complete the course until they complete the required number of events.
    2. If you also use both attendance options at the Event level (complete when user joins webinar and accesses recording), you users will be able to join live or view the recording to complete past Events. Note, recordings are only available to those who are registered for the session. I think that is a benefit in this use case.

Again, please fully test is recommendation, it looks promising but I have not set it up fully to make sure it will work as the options

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

@Neil Patterson @martiniwinski 

One more thing… 

In October, Docebo is adding event level detail to session reporting, not sure the name of the report. With this should be able to report on users enrolled in multi event sessions and the sessions they have completed. Not sure if you will be able to report on the events they have not completed, will need to do some discovery when the report enhancement is available.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Glad you are making progress in your needs @dianex.gomez . Definitely looking forward to that report coming. As far as the setup, sounds similar to what we’ve been doing for a while, still a lot of work for folks who are not doing the scheduling all the time, and very easy to miss a step or a setting. We have built several tools to help mediate this for our main users, but is a huge lift for most.

Userlevel 5
Badge

We are having a great deal of frustration with ILT notifications and I’d love to know when there will be some progress in this area. When an ILT course has only 1 session and that session is over, there should be NO MORE notifications that go out indicating that the “Learner has not yet completed this course” since there’s no way the user can complete it. It’s very frustrating for the instructor/admin to have to go back and archive/unenroll the non-attending users so that they stop receiving notifications.

Userlevel 5
Badge

So I can’t help but notice that even though this post is 2 years old and contains fix siggestions from @riccardogalimberti @Bfarkas , I don’t see any of this implamented yet and still experience most of the problems listed in the initial post. Any updates?

Adding to this we do a lot of one and done events via ILT and having to create the event plus the session plus the event feels cumbersome. Any thoughts or better practices for an ILT that only happens one time?