Question

Courses from third party learning Systems

We are trying to bring in some content from Udemy onto our Docebo Instance. We know that we cannot directly play the content in Docebo and it will be a redirect to Udemy instance.
But I am unable to integrate this in Docebo and add a  link of Udemy course in Docebo.

Does anyone know where we have to add this link ? Should I be using xAPI path to add this link ?

What should be my training material option in this case ? Has anyone done this before ?

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I know it is using Connect, but you might want to check this out and maybe @Salvo can chime in!

@Bfarkas I am not using Docebo Connect. I am trying to bring it in myself and add a link.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Understood, but figured you still might want to chat about what he has and hasn’t done and had work since it seemed he worked up to that setup.

In terms of straight third party links, lots of threads, heres an example:

and heres an idea you should vote for to make this better:

Essentially, theres not a great way, you either make a fake course of sorts that has a link or just straight opens into the link (my preferred as you can potentially program to pass data), or you can make a html page in the course shown in your screenshot and just add a link.

Got it . Thank you.

I wish and hope there is a direct way, rather than adding a html page and adding link there. 
That doesnt feel like a very good user experience.

@Salvo  any inputs here will be helpful.

@Bfarkas if we were to go your way of adding a fake course that straight opens link, where do I add that link in the course management. In the screenshot I attached to the question, I dont see any option where I can add a link. How did you acheive this ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Vivek the only way to add a URL as a learning object would be to create an HTML Page. That said, and to get around the extra clicking, you could use the course “auto launch” option so that the page open immediately when the user accesses the course. A few less clicks might just make it work for you.

You can also post a Course Enrolment link somewhere on your pages (as a custom widget) with the link to the Udemy course.

If you need users to login once they get to the Udemy site, you can also create an External Page and call it Udemy. We use this option for a Pluralsight and users love it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@Bfarkas if we were to go your way of adding a fake course that straight opens link, where do I add that link in the course management. In the screenshot I attached to the question, I dont see any option where I can add a link. How did you acheive this ?

Yup, as @lrnlab said, and is in those discussions I posted above, there currently is no straight choice tom just add a link. The work arounds above work, or if you build a course, like a scorm or x-api container, to house the link I have it auto open the link and pass some data from the content to the third party which removes all the extra clicking and avoids needing to make the course setting adjustments too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Vivek the only way to add a URL as a learning object would be to create an HTML Page. That said, and to get around the extra clicking, you could use the course “auto launch” option so that the page open immediately when the user accesses the course. A few less clicks might just make it work for you.

You can also post a Course Enrolment link somewhere on your pages (as a custom widget) with the link to the Udemy course.

If you need users to login once they get to the Udemy site, you can also create an External Page and call it Udemy. We use this option for a Pluralsight and users love it.

This is how we link UDemy courses, but have seen a preview of Docebo Connect using the Udemy connectors, and it’s nice.  If you are finding that you are going to be using a lot of UDemy courses, it is worth checking it out to see if that add on will create less administrative work for you.