Best Practices for Proactive System Management

• 23 June 2022
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge

As a system administrator, I often get bogged down in responding to issues instead of taking a more proactive approach for preventing problems, but I want to change that.  What are some of your suggestions for best practices around ongoing system maintenance?  

Here are a few that I thought of:

• Ensure that data feeds are running smoothly. 
    • Review error logs and work with appropriate parties to resolve issues.
    • Follow up on outstanding tickets.
  • Regularly review user information for the following:
    • Missing data 
    • Duplicate user profiles
    • Admin Accounts – Review admin accounts to confirm that admin level access is still warranted. 
    • Power Users – Review power user access to ensure that permissions are appropriate for the User’s role.

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hi @jdclark2 yours are really good advices!! 

I can suggest:

• always use the codes (for courses, pages, learning plans ecc) so you can find in a easy way your content!
    • The code could be related to the content
    • if you have more than one Superadmin or some power users, you can have a code related to who created the content (so you will have immediate visibility of the content creator)
  • Create a Platform Mapping in Excel and keep it updated. This could take time, but it is really useful have immediate overview of this topics:
    • Pages and menus with related links (which pages are in that menu, who can see the menu, which link are associated to the pages)
    • Power users profiles and resources assigned
    • Automatic group rules
    • Manager and related team
    • Enrolment rules (related groups/branches, courses/learning plans)
    • Catalogues and learning plan content (if they are many)

This system can be really useful when you have a lot of pages, groups, courses… in order to keep all under control and save time (otherwise you should open several pages in order to find what you need)