Developing Learning KPIs

• 10 May 2021
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Hi Community! 

It’s not easy developing meaningful KPIs (Key Performance Indicators) that tie your efforts in content creation to changes in the larger business ecosystem. Focus too much on learner satisfaction, and you can run the risk of divorcing training from behavioral change and achievement of business objectives. Draw your categories too directly from larger organizational goals, and you might find it hard to demonstrate linkage between your performance and appreciable change. 

That’s the dilemma. So, I’m wondering: if you use KPIs as part of your compensation plan, which ones do you use? Do you think this arrangement works well? If not, how would you improve it?  

1 reply

Userlevel 3
Badge

Great topic! I’m very interested in this but also don’t have a good answer. We’re currently tracking courses started & courses completed per month, which is very basic.

In general, you’d want to track metrics that drive behaviors (and not too many metrics), so a starting point would be to define what kind of behavior we want to see from our learners (2-3 vital behaviors, not a long wishlist) and how to measure it. But I must admit, I haven’t moved past this point yet...